Odd looking fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Cantu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to brewing, wife has celiacs and my 4th ever batch is an extract GF IPA. The fermentables:

2 Gallon batch
38.5 oz White Sorghum Syrup - Gluten Free - 37 1.5 60.1% (half at boil, half at flameout)
10.8 oz Belgian Candi Syrup - D-45 32 45 16.8%
8.4 oz Honey (Buckwheat) 42 2 13.1% (add at flameout)
6.4 oz Maltodextrin 39 0 10%
4.01 lb Total

I used 2 tsp of yeast nutrient (diammonium sulfate and food grade urea), half a tablet of whirlfloc, and grapefruit zest as additions. Hop schedule was aggressive but only starting 10 minutes left in boil.

I pitched rehydrated 11g of Safale US05. No signs of any activity in my PET 3 gallon carboy for at least 12 hours, even then, really weak. It's almost been 36 hours and I think this is the highest krausen is getting. I've never seen globules like this: https://imgur.com/gallery/F88Bf

I see lots of activity but those pics were taken a few hours ago and now the krausen is dying down already. Is this normal for GF beers? I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, I don't want to disturb what could be a delicate system.

Also, recipe was for 5 gallons, I used brewersfriend.com to scale it down to 2 gallons. The Breiss White Sorghum Syrup I used must have been old because it was daaaark. 1.5 Lovibond my foot!(https://imgur.com/a/e7PY4). This is supposed to be an IPA with a 10 SRM, it looks like a doppelbock

I don't have any non-GF brewing experience, but both of those pics look normal to me.

Looks fine. Those globules are likely due to the whirlfloc. I used it in my most recent AG brew and had very similar globules. When I don't use it, I don't see them.

That’s weird, I’ve brewed this same recipe (igliashons grapefruit ipa) a few times and never had any globs like this form at all. Looks like you’ve brewed through it though huh? How did it turn out? This is one of my favorite gluten free extract beers to make, even non-GF friends love it.

The thief sample I pulled for gravity yesterday was spectacular for being 4 days young. I just dry hopped with more centennial and Citra. I’m hoping the hops settle down and get smoother. Can’t wait.

The gunk looks like yeast rafts, which aren't anything to be worried about. Is it possibly because you pitched the whole 11.5g in 2 gallons?

Latest posts

Back