octoberfest layering time done??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
Ok so my octoberfest has been laggering for over 4 weeks now at 34F is that long enough or should i let it go longer. Should i let it lager for longer or is that long enough. Also should i let it sit for awhile in the keg while its carbing to let it age. Or what should i do. It has to age before i drink it right. Im a noob at this and i want to make sure it turns out good

Ok so my octoberfest has been laggering for over 4 weeks now at 34F is that long enough or should i let it go longer. Should i let it lager for longer or is that long enough. Also should i let it sit for awhile in the keg while its carbing to let it age. Or what should i do. It has to age before i drink it right. Im a noob at this and i want to make sure it turns out good

Lagering is the process of conditioning at low temps. You can lager any beer. The main reason to lager a beer using lager yeast is for clarification and possibly aging. IMO pull a sample. If it is crystal clear carb it up. Better yet carb it now even if it isn't totally clear yet.

For the record, not all beers that are fermented with lager yeast age well. For example a Bohemian Pilsner peaks within the first few months.

yea ive herd that but then again if i was at 1.050 and finish was at 1.010 that would be 40 right? ive never seen a been get to 1.0000

ive heard somewhere around 4-6 weeks is normal

A good rule of thumb is to lager for one week for every 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.050 lager, 5-7 weeks or so would be ideal.

Lagering really "smooths" out the beer, causing polyphenols to drop out, as well as diketones (especially diacetyl), sulphur compounds, aldehydes, and volatile fatty acids.

This will give the beer a crisper finish, so it's good not to shortchange the lagering period.

ok It has been lagging for almost 2 months. Im going to keg it tonight. Also of stuff fell out of the brew in the secondary fermenter. Im thinking this should be good beer. We will know in about a week

yea ive herd that but then again if i was at 1.050 and finish was at 1.010 that would be 40 right? ive never seen a been get to 1.0000

ive heard somewhere around 4-6 weeks is normal

No. You only count the OG. Like Yooper says, lager at least a week for every ten points of OG. Personally, my O-fests lager close to six months, but that is only because I refuse to crack a keg until the middle of September, when Oktoberfest starts.

haha nice. well I'm crabbing it doesn't mean I'm going to drink right away. maybe next year i can do it right and see how it turns out

Back