Octoberfest Ale Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipknotMcGee

Reaction score
I love Octoberfest beers. My first homebrew was an Octoberfest, but it was from a kit. I've recently decided to switch to more advanced recipes. I searched for a good Octoberfest recipe on these forums and couldn't find one that:

1. is an extract recipe (since I am not equipped for All or Partial Grain)
2. is an ale recipe (since I am not equipped for lagering)
3. made sense ;)

But I did find one here, so I am reposting it below (edited to reflect how I made it) in the hopes that others will find it when they do a search like I did.

(This will probably not be ready in time for Octoberfest - late September - but it might be ready in time for Halloween.)

Steeping grains (30 min at 150F):
0.5 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb German Castle 2-row (I believe that was what it was called)
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt

Extract:
3.3 lb Amber LME
3.3 lb Light LME (I used Muntons for both of these)

75 minute boil

Hops (all Hallertau):
1 oz. @ 60 min remaining
1 oz. @ 15 min remaining
0.5 oz. @ removal from heat

Yeast: Cry Havoc WLP862

Initial Specific Gravity: 1.057 (adjusted from 1.054 @ 77F)

I'm using a cold water bath to keep the fermentation at 65. Usually, my "fermentation room" (guest shower stall) is 72 with the thermometer on the bucket reading 74-76 from internal heat.

I made this Saturday morning and it is now Monday afternoon. Going by the rate of bubbles, fermentation has started more slowly than my previous batches, but the recipe and White Labs' info sheet on Cry Havoc warned me of that.

I'll post updates when they happen. I don't plan on cracking this open to get another gravity reading for at least two weeks.

I just did something similar, though partial mash:

Grains (60 min at 154F):
2.0 lb Vienna
1.5 lb Munich (light)
0.5 lb CaraMunich
0.5 lb CaraVienne

Extract:
4 lb Pilsen DME

60 minute boil

Hops:
1 oz. Tettnang @ 60 min remaining
0.5 oz. Hellertau @ 30 min remaining
0.5 oz. Hellertau @ 15 min remaining

Yeast: WLP029
OG: 1.054 @ 70F

I used a water bath to keep temps around 62F for 7 days. I'm now bringing it up to about 68F for another week in the primary, before racking to the secondary. Hoping its ready by the end of September.

Cheers!

I just bottled this one last weekend...

Grains (25 min at 155F):
.5 lb German Pilsner
.75 lb CaraVienne
.75 lb CaraMunich

Extract:
11 lb Munich LME

60 minute boil

Hops:
1.5 oz. Perle @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Perle @ 30 min
0.5 oz. Hellertau @ 15 min
0.5 oz. Hellertau @ 5 min

Yeast: WLP862
OG: 1.073 @ 70F
Spent 2 weeks in primary/7 weeks in secondary
ABV: 7.73%

Wow nukesquad, that's big for an Octoberfest. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

What temperature did you keep it at in primary and secondary? The yeast we're both using seems to have a wide range of temperatures it finds comfortable. I decided to go cooler than normal to get as close to a lager as I could.

This is my first time trying to control the temperature. Until last night, I had just thrown some ice into the shower stall where I keep my bucket, and gotten it down to 66-68. When my giant cooler got freed up, I put my bucket inside and filled with water and a little ice, up to about the 4 gallon mark (out of 5) on the outside of the bucket. It got down to 62 and was at 64 this morning, so I didn't add more ice. I guess I'll get a feel for it as time goes on. I'm planning on leaving this in primary for 2-3 weeks, since I don't have a secondary.

Wow, exactly what I was looking for (thanks to search button) although I was hoping I could have an Oktoberfest ale ready before it happened so I could surprise my friends in the German club here at the University when they throw their annual Oktoberfest party. Maybe I can still have a quicker homebrew ready by then anyway. But, I will still be making one of these brews for the heck of it. If it isn't ready in time I'll still be welcomed with open arms for a regular bi-monthly club meeting.

BTW I'm in the same boat as OP. No equipment for AG or lagering.

The following recipe turned out spectacular for me, time and time again. Additionally, they continued to get better and better in the bottle after conditioning (4 weeks @ 70F) until they were gone! My advice would be to start this recipe early and let condition for a month and then let them sit in the fridge for a month before you dig in (if that is even humanly possible).

Grains (60 min @ 152):
-3 lbs Munich
-1 lb Crystal
-.5 lb Melanoidin

Extract:
-6 lbs Northwestern Extra Light DME

60 min boil

Hops:
-1 oz Mount Hood @ start of boil
-1 oz mount hood @ 20 min to Flame-Out

Yeast:
-WLP820 (White Labs Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager Yeast)
-1600 ml starter pitched @ 70F
-Aerated wort with O2 pre-pitch

Gravity Details:
-1.066 OG
-1.015 FG

Fermentation:
-14 days @ 50-52F (Swirled Carboy to increase O2)
-7 days @ 60F
-Racked to Secondary after 21 days

Lagering:
-10 Days at 55F (in Secondary)
-3 days (after day 10) of incremental drops to 45F by day 14
-40 days @ 45F
-Drop to 34F for 5 days

Just an update:

I took a gravity reading at the 10 day mark, and it's just about done: 1.018 @ 64 degrees. I'm planning on bottling this Saturday, which will be the 3 week mark.

If I give it 3 more weeks in the bottle, that should put it right about at the start of the real Oktoberfest.

I love Octoberfest beers. My first homebrew was an Octoberfest, but it was from a kit. I've recently decided to switch to more advanced recipes. I searched for a good Octoberfest recipe on these forums and couldn't find one that:

1. is an extract recipe (since I am not equipped for All or Partial Grain)
2. is an ale recipe (since I am not equipped for lagering)
3. made sense ;)

But I did find one here, so I am reposting it below (edited to reflect how I made it) in the hopes that others will find it when they do a search like I did.

(This will probably not be ready in time for Octoberfest - late September - but it might be ready in time for Halloween.)

Steeping grains (30 min at 150F):
0.5 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Munich
0.5 lb German Castle 2-row (I believe that was what it was called)
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt

Extract:
3.3 lb Amber LME
3.3 lb Light LME (I used Muntons for both of these)

75 minute boil

Hops (all Hallertau):
1 oz. @ 60 min remaining
1 oz. @ 15 min remaining
0.5 oz. @ removal from heat

Yeast: Cry Havoc WLP862

Initial Specific Gravity: 1.057 (adjusted from 1.054 @ 77F)

I'm using a cold water bath to keep the fermentation at 65. Usually, my "fermentation room" (guest shower stall) is 72 with the thermometer on the bucket reading 74-76 from internal heat.

I made this Saturday morning and it is now Monday afternoon. Going by the rate of bubbles, fermentation has started more slowly than my previous batches, but the recipe and White Labs' info sheet on Cry Havoc warned me of that.

I'll post updates when they happen. I don't plan on cracking this open to get another gravity reading for at least two weeks.

One recommendation I'd make for the next time you brew this is to replace the Amber LME (perhaps even the Light LME) with Munich LME. Briess and NorthernBrewer both make a Munich LME that's made up of 50% Munich/50% Base malt. Oktoberfests are typically made with a similar grain bill.

I'd even consider replacing the Crystal 60 with CaraVienne.

The following recipe turned out spectacular for me, time and time again. Additionally, they continued to get better and better in the bottle after conditioning (4 weeks @ 70F) until they were gone! My advice would be to start this recipe early and let condition for a month and then let them sit in the fridge for a month before you dig in (if that is even humanly possible).

Grains (60 min @ 152):
-3 lbs Munich
-1 lb Crystal
-.5 lb Melanoidin

Extract:
-6 lbs Northwestern Extra Light DME

60 min boil

Hops:
-1 oz Mount Hood @ start of boil
-1 oz mount hood @ 20 min to Flame-Out

Yeast:
-WLP820 (White Labs Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager Yeast)
-1600 ml starter pitched @ 70F
-Aerated wort with O2 pre-pitch

Gravity Details:
-1.066 OG
-1.015 FG

Fermentation:
-14 days @ 50-52F (Swirled Carboy to increase O2)
-7 days @ 60F
-Racked to Secondary after 21 days

Lagering:
-10 Days at 55F (in Secondary)
-3 days (after day 10) of incremental drops to 45F by day 14
-40 days @ 45F
-Drop to 34F for 5 days

You're mashing the Munich malt, correct? Munich malt cannot/should not be steeped.

You're mashing the Munich malt, correct? Munich malt cannot/should not be steeped.

No, I am steeping it as indicated. I disagree that Munich cannot be steeped. Of course that doesn't make me "right." I am aware of tests that have been performed. The end result with this recipe has been good every time.

Edit: That being said....I mash these days anyway. But this was one of my favorite extract recipes I got from my LHBS early in my brewing days.

Well, I tried one at 3 weeks in the bottle (Sept 18), and it wasn't carbonated. Maybe a tiny bit, but no where near where it needed to be. I assume this is due to my technique and not the recipe, although I have no idea what I did differently. I suppose it could be the yeast.

I had one this past weekend at 6 weeks in the bottle, and there is carbonation, but less than I expect or want. The taste is pretty decent, but would be helped by increased carbonation. It also came out much darker than you would expect for the style.

I've also noticed that there is little to no yeast sediment in the bottles. This may be related to the lack of carbonation, but I can't be sure. I would consider this a positive attribute if the beer had turned out okay otherwise.

So this was a bit disappointing for me, but I place more blame on my lack of experience than the recipe itself. Although, like I said, it could be the yeast (Cry Havoc).

What temp are you keeping the bottles at? If your temp is below 70f it will take longer to carb. My typical bottle carbing sched is 3 weeks @ 70-75F and even then some times it needs to go another week.

Yeah I've pretty much had it at 70-75 for the last 6 weeks. I'll just let it sit a few more. I've got other things to drink in the meantime :)

Back