October Fest Seems too bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Made my first Octoberfest using
32% pilsner malt,
40% Vienna malt,
6% caramunich,
20% Munich malt
2% aromatic malt

Wlp833

26 IBU hallertauer 90 min
3 IBU hallertauer 20 min

For some reason boiled off more than I hoped for and ended up with 1.060 OG and beer Finished around 1.014 IBU was 29

Fermentation was 3 weeks with 2 week cold crash and gelatin. I keged the beer and it is now 2 weeks in the keg. So it was cold for about a month. Beer taste fine but the bitterness seems a lot higher than 29 IBU. The beer is pretty clear so dont know what’s causing this. Will it fade over time? I realize that for a Lager still pretty young

I make my Octoberfest in the winter and let it Lager until Sept., so it's a tad young compared to mine. :)

I'm curious what you're comparing it to ?, or is it where the hops are stepping on the maltiness.

I can tell you that the last one I brewed turned out very good, and had an estimated IBU of 22. (Style guidelines are 18-24) ...so that could explain your perceptions ... Question: why the 90 minute boil? , you probably would've been about 22IBU with a 60 min boil.

I make my Octoberfest in the winter and let it Lager until Sept., so it's a tad young compared to mine. :)

I'm curious what you're comparing it to ?, or is it where the hops are stepping on the maltiness.

I can tell you that the last one I brewed turned out very good, and had an estimated IBU of 22. (Style guidelines are 18-24) ...so that could explain your perceptions ... Question: why the 90 minute boil? , you probably would've been about 22IBU with a 60 min boil.

I was shooting for 1.057 with 25 IBU BU/GU of 0.44

I made a Festbier (a bit lighter, but in the same spirit as a traditional Märzen) in July with an IBU right around 32 (a bit high for the style, but it was intentional). It was quite astringent and overly bitter tasting and pretty much (in my opinion - others were kinder) undrinkable even after a month of lagering. But after two months, this beer has become a thing of beauty. Your beer might need another month or two of lagering. :)

I made a Festbier (a bit lighter, but in the same spirit as a traditional Märzen) in July with an IBU right around 32 (a bit high for the style, but it was intentional). It was quite astringent and overly bitter tasting and pretty much (in my opinion - others were kinder) undrinkable even after a month of lagering. But after two months, this beer has become a thing of beauty. Your beer might need another month or two of lagering. :)

Thanks, I am also surprised that I am not getting that nice bready malt character I would expect with that much vienna, maybe that will come through as the beer ages

Latest posts

Back