Obtained Mini Siphon but Forgot Tubing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in a bit of a lame bind. I purchased a mini siphon online but forgot to order proper tubing to go with it. The tubing on my large auto siphon is welded on there and isn't going to budge, so that option is out. I have a nearby Home Depot but they seemed confused when I asked for tubing/hosing for a siphon.

Any quick fixes? I'm not picky. Just need it to work with the mini siphon.

Thanks!

literally welded or simply stuck? If the tubing is plastic and if it will fit the mini-siphon then simply run very hot water over the spot where the tube and the plastic pipe are fitted. The heat from the water will expand the tube faster than it will expand the rigid plastic and the tube will slide off. If they are truly "welded" then my suggestion will not help.

For bottling you might want to look into a bottling wand. The wand works with pressure. When the wand is pressed against the bottom of the bottle to be filled that pressure releases a spring that opens the end and allows the cider (or wine) to flow into the bottle. You raise the wand off the bottom and the spring closes the valve preventing any more liquid from flowing. The great thing about the wand is that the amount of liquid it displaces is the amount of head room most people want when they fill their bottles - enough room to allow some CO2 to come out of solution and enough room for the liquid to expand if ambient air pressure or temperature changes. A wand costs a few dollars. Great tool.

Is the tubing on your large siphon the right size? If so, try cutting it off. Make a small slit or just use scissors. You might lose an inch or so of tubing length

I think my mini siphon take 5/16" tubing. You could also try a pet store (aquarium tubing).

...why not take your siphon with you to HD and have them help find tubing that fits? Most clear vinyl tubing should be ok, it's not like we're dealing with hot wort and need to worry about temp allowances. I just got some clear vinyl tubing from the plumbing section, paid like $10 for 20 ft :)

I will try that tip Bernard thanks (hot water) but I am pretty sure it has been super glued into place.

I do have a bottling wand - found it the other day.

I can't believe I forgot to buy tubing to go with it.

literally welded or simply stuck? If the tubing is plastic and if it will fit the mini-siphon then simply run very hot water over the spot where the tube and the plastic pipe are fitted. The heat from the water will expand the tube faster than it will expand the rigid plastic and the tube will slide off. If they are truly "welded" then my suggestion will not help.

For bottling you might want to look into a bottling wand. The wand works with pressure. When the wand is pressed against the bottom of the bottle to be filled that pressure releases a spring that opens the end and allows the cider (or wine) to flow into the bottle. You raise the wand off the bottom and the spring closes the valve preventing any more liquid from flowing. The great thing about the wand is that the amount of liquid it displaces is the amount of head room most people want when they fill their bottles - enough room to allow some CO2 to come out of solution and enough room for the liquid to expand if ambient air pressure or temperature changes. A wand costs a few dollars. Great tool.

Thanks so much! Next stop is the pet store for aquarium tubing! Hopefully anyway.

Is the tubing on your large siphon the right size? If so, try cutting it off. Make a small slit or just use scissors. You might lose an inch or so of tubing length

I think my mini siphon take 5/16" tubing. You could also try a pet store (aquarium tubing).

So I found a long blow-off tube sitting in with the winemaking kit I bought from craigslist.

Would this be suitable? Granted, I lose a blow-off tube but I don't really need it anyway. The tubing would fit the siphon fine.

Sorry for being so green about such a basic accessory. I presume I can super glue it onto the end of the siphon hose tip?

This is no different than what I can get from the pet store for aquariums.

So I found a long blow-off tube sitting in with the winemaking kit I bought from craigslist.

Would this be suitable? Granted, I lose a blow-off tube but I don't really need it anyway. The tubing would fit the siphon fine.

Sorry for being so green about such a basic accessory. I presume I can super glue it onto the end of the siphon hose tip?

This is no different than what I can get from the pet store for aquariums.

that hose will be fine if it fits your wand and bottle filler. i would not super glue it

Agreed, no need for super glue. It should be a tight fit (almost impossible to get on) when dry. Run the end of the hose under hot water to loosen it up, then slip it on.

Any Hardware store should have vinyl tubing of various diameters.

You'll want an inner diameter of 3/8" or 5/16" I think.

Don't even mention a siphon. Just ask where the clear vinyl tubing is and for some one to cut it for you.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Finding supplies around here is quite the challenge. Sizing is also a roadblock.
I've just been buying 80% of my supplies online to avoid the hassle of the treasure hunt.

Any Hardware store should have vinyl tubing of various diameters.

You'll want an inner diameter of 3/8" or 5/16" I think.

Don't even mention a siphon. Just ask where the clear vinyl tubing is and for some one to cut it for you.

Yeah, you do not want to glue the tube to the tubing. Not least because it is much easier to keep everything sanitized if you can wash the tubing and the tube and soak them in K-meta solution. It also means that you can use the same tubing to siphon and bottle and attach the tubing to a small siphon when you are siphoning from gallon carboys or a large siphon when siphoning from 3 or 5 or 6 gallon carboys...

Ah gotcha. Makes perfect sense. Well the blow off tube is way too big so I'm still in need of an exact fit. I will be visiting the pet store later this week to see if I can find the right size there.

Yeah, you do not want to glue the tube to the tubing. Not least because it is much easier to keep everything sanitized if you can wash the tubing and the tube and soak them in K-meta solution. It also means that you can use the same tubing to siphon and bottle and attach the tubing to a small siphon when you are siphoning from gallon carboys or a large siphon when siphoning from 3 or 5 or 6 gallon carboys...

But I think you are going to need to find some way to remove the flexible tubing from the rigid tube if you are to reuse the rigid part of the siphon at another time. You may want to CAREFULLY , take a very sharp box cutter or similar blade and slice the tubing where it meets the tube and then CAREFULLY slit the tubing that is seated on the tube to allow it to either fall off or be pried off. You will lose - what? an inch or so of the tubing ...
That said, not sure that the diameter of tubing stocked in pet stores for aquariums will in fact go over the tube of the bottle filler or the siphon...

I think I found Exactly the right size of tubing I need on amazon.ca and it appears to be for brewing.
I will pop into the pet store first though see what I can find.

I realize I don't want to go cutting up any tubing in my kit. I want to find the right tubing for this exact mini siphon.
I probably have to buy off amazon or ebay I guess

Thanks for the help Bernard.

For a 3/8" siphon your need 5/16 ID tubing, for the 1/2" siphon you need 7/16" ID. There was a really nice discussion on it on WMT that I just read maybe an hour ago, lol.

Thank you RegarRenill!

This is exactly the kind of data I needed. I am going to try and see if Amazon.ca sells this exact product.

Cheers!

For a 3/8" siphon your need 5/16 ID tubing, for the 1/2" siphon you need 7/16" ID. There was a really nice discussion on it on WMT that I just read maybe an hour ago, lol.

Did amazon.ca have the correct hoses? If not, your local hardware store should have clear vinyl hoses, as well...and no shipping ;-) I buy mine at the nearby Lowe's or Home Depot, Ace Hardware also has them...I generally pay like 3-5 USD for 10 ft...

Hi there,

Sorry for not writing back sooner. I lucked out last time I visited by local U-Brew supply store. I just called the owner if he had mini siphon tubing and it turns out he did! He cut several feet for me then and there!

But I do believe Amazon has something close, if not precisely, what I needed. I should provide the link here when I find it again because perhaps it could help others who are also looking for tubing for their mini siphon.

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions!

Did amazon.ca have the correct hoses? If not, your local hardware store should have clear vinyl hoses, as well...and no shipping ;-) I buy mine at the nearby Lowe's or Home Depot, Ace Hardware also has them...I generally pay like 3-5 USD for 10 ft...

Back