Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article about the dry counties in Alaska that have banned yeast and sugar:
http://www.adn.com/2011/07/18/1973815/home-brew-ingredients-catch-the.html

This sounds more like the old Soviet Union then the US. I am surprised they can take it this far. Looks like the need to learn about yeast harvesting and starters up in AK.

"A grocery store manager in Anchorage might call alcohol investigators if someone buys a lot of yeast and the manager suspects it's being sent to a village, Thompson said. As in many bootlegging arrests, investigators sometimes find the yeast packed in someone's luggage or their mail bound for the Bush, he said."

"Controlling the ingredients for home-brew in villages is similar to the effort to control the sale of ingredients used to cook methamphetemine, Thompson said."

Holy s..t!!!!:confused:

that whole business in alaska is laughable. i remember them saying something along the lines of, "there's only one reason you need 4 pounds of yeast, and that's bootlegging."

hilarious and stupid, coz if you've ever made bread at home, it takes about as much dried bread yeast to make a couple of loaves as it takes to ferment 5 gallons of beer. they're basically treating their whole state as if it were one giant prison, and the citizens were all guilty of conspiring to make industrial scale prison hooch.

and then there's alabama... the brewing network played some of the arguments against legalizing homebrewing recently made in the alabama state legislature/village idiot convention, and that was comedy GOLD.

Someone asked about the prezidents equiptment. It is all blichmann

Emphasis added. I would like to make a small correction to you here Revvy. It was a Marine, not a soldier. I'm a former Marine myself, and there is a distinction. :) Not saying anything bad about our compatriots in the Army with that, just noting the distinction for those who might not know.

Never heard that before, I thought soldier was the umbrella term for all millitary combat troops no matter what the branch?

Or is the distinction more in the minds of the Marines? ;)

It was a Marine, not a soldier. I'm a former Marine myself, and there is a distinction. :) Not saying anything bad about our compatriots in the Army with that, just noting the distinction for those who might not know.

Thank you that. And, furthermore (and this is from one marine to another), there is no such thing as a former marine. I know you knew that tho :mug:

Hey, Victory! I love their lineup. The anchor on the right, next to the beer guy, apparently really likes it all. The guy on the left, not so much.

And there are still some really neolithic laws restricting sales in many, many states. A lot of places you can't buy anything on Sunday outside of a bar. Some states you can only get 3.2% ABV beer or below in a grocery store, and anything else has to be in a specialty liquor store. As though high alcohol beers and hard liquors will somehow contaminate food. Bah.

Yep, this is one of the main reasons I first got into homebrewing.

Went to a brewpub for dinner one night and got exposed to some seriously good beer for the first time, and after that started trying out all the craft beers I could get my hands on. This led to reading beer reviews on different sites online so I would know which ones to keep my eyes open for.

So, of course, after trying my first really good pale ale, I was curious to try an IPA. And ya know what? Couldn't fine one anywhere!

In Iowa, any beer over a certain ABV can't be sold. And that level is low enough to exclude most IPAs. Even in a liquor store next to all the wine, Jack Daniels, Bacardi 151, and Everclear, they can't legally sell a 9% ABV beer.

So yeah, a very large part of my motivation for getting into homebrewing was to be able to try out styles that weren't legal to purchase in Iowa. I now live in Illinois where things are a bit more reasonable, at least I can find a DIPA or Imperial Stout on the shelves, but now that I've caught the homebrewing bug, well, that's something that doesn't just go away....

I want to see the POTUS with a stir paddle standing over a big rolling boil kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Nice post. Great to see some more national coverage of the craft beer movement.

Never heard that before, I thought soldier was the umbrella term for all millitary combat troops no matter what the branch?

Or is the distinction more in the minds of the Marines? ;)

Most civilians will use soldier as an umbrella term for any ground troops. Sailors are often in combat, just not on the ground. Same for airmen. However, within the military, it is a distinction used and one which we are very proud of. In the Army, you are considered a soldier, and a private, from the first day you start your basic training. In the Marine Corps, you are a recruit until you graduate, and then you have EARNED the title of Marine. There are few things in a young Marine's life that make you swell with pride more than that moment, when you graduate basic, and the base commander welcomes you, "Good morning Marines". First time you're called a Marine...It's pretty awesome.

The distinction probably matters more for us than for other branches, though I think if you were to call an Army veteran a Marine, he would likely correct you for that. :)

There are few things in a young Marine's life that make you swell with pride more than that moment, when you graduate basic, and the base commander welcomes you, "Good morning Marines". First time you're called a Marine...It's pretty awesome.

That's really cool!!!!

...... though I think if you were to call an Army veteran a Marine, he would likely correct you for that. :)

Yeah I figured that.

Yep, this is one of the main reasons I first got into homebrewing.

Went to a brewpub for dinner one night and got exposed to some seriously good beer for the first time, and after that started trying out all the craft beers I could get my hands on. This led to reading beer reviews on different sites online so I would know which ones to keep my eyes open for.

So, of course, after trying my first really good pale ale, I was curious to try an IPA. And ya know what? Couldn't fine one anywhere!

In Iowa, any beer over a certain ABV can't be sold. And that level is low enough to exclude most IPAs. Even in a liquor store next to all the wine, Jack Daniels, Bacardi 151, and Everclear, they can't legally sell a 9% ABV beer.

So yeah, a very large part of my motivation for getting into homebrewing was to be able to try out styles that weren't legal to purchase in Iowa. I now live in Illinois where things are a bit more reasonable, at least I can find a DIPA or Imperial Stout on the shelves, but now that I've caught the homebrewing bug, well, that's something that doesn't just go away....

Guess what? Iowa got with the program last year and got rid of that stupid law. Free at last, free at last. Thank god almighty we're free at last!!

You know the President isn't brewing, that's for sure. This is the same guy that chose Bud Light for the Beer Summit. A great opportunity for craft beer exposure to the world and he chooses Bud Light!!.

Except he would have gotten **** for choosing craft beer. I would have picked Yuengling, at least it's actually an American brewery, and black and tan is good.

Except he would have gotten **** for choosing craft beer. I would have picked Yuengling, at least it's actually an American brewery, and black and tan is good.

+1 and technically it's the oldest AMERICAN owned brewery now, so that's a very cool thing to focus on. Heck, when AHB was bought some American Legion or Amvets posts dropped Bud products and started carrying Yuengling instead.

I haven't tried the B&T's but I really found both their Traditional Lager and Lord Chesterton's Ale to be both excellent beers.

Guess what? Iowa got with the program last year and got rid of that stupid law. Free at last, free at last. Thank god almighty we're free at last!!

Figures. They do that just at the exact time that I'm finally getting out of that state. :mad:

Then again, by "out of that state" I actually mean just across the river in Moline, IL. I can actually still see Iowa from my back yard. LOL.

Good to hear they finally loosened up a bit.

(At least they're not like Minnesota. Only 3.2 beer, and no sales on Sundays? Talk about a place I don't want to live!)

Heeey, there is finally something I like about the president! I've always said don't trust a man who doesn't drink beer, and the best way to get to know someone is to throw back a few pints with them. It's awesome about the Marine as well, such a humble request for having received the nations highest honor.

How ironic, I was randomly searching google pics for home brew images and came along this...lol!

obama_home_brew_small.jpg

the article posted sounds pretty definite about Obama being a homebrewer.

question 2 is:
is he an HBTer?

equally important:
does he use iodophor or starsan?
does he secondary?
extract/pm/ag?
aluminum or SS kettle?

this is getting more interesting than boring ol' politics!

I found out about this before the Super Bowl when a GB brewery sent Obama beer to drink during the game. A Pittsburgh brewery tried to do the same but was too late with the campaign. Anyway it came out then that he let his personal chefs get equipment to brew beer for him. I am certain he doesn't have the time to slave over a kettle.

I am certain he doesn't have the time to slave over a kettle.

I dunno, man. GWB sure played a lot of golf... i gould see Obama sneaking in brew sessions here and there. especially with assistants to take over if he gets pulled away.

bengerman said:
I dunno, man. GWB sure played a lot of golf... i gould see Obama sneaking in brew sessions here and there. especially with assistants to take over if he gets pulled away.

True that, I just dont see it but if he was a HBT poster, which one would he be? I am pretty sure Carter and Clinton both had brothers that brewed. Obama brews... All demos hmmm

Why is this story resurfacing all of a sudden? I thought we covered it during the Superbowl?

Doesnt get more American, President drinking homebrew on the patio with a Medal of Honor recipient, regardeless of your political views its pretty damn awesome

Reactions: ENS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back