Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe you are adding your own presumptions to the original post. there was no such stipulation on the sunsequent postings.

what is the point of meaking a thread to see how many people respond with agreeable statements?

personally i don't think it is cool at all and our president shouldn''t be having Super Bowl photo op parties.

You're wrong. It's the owner of this forum's rules - no politics outside the debate forum.

That's just plain backa$$wards. Left the door open for state by state prohibition,just like the last time. This is one of those times where the federal law should have told the states to put up & shut up. What in the WORLD is it going to hurt? Some greedy politicians who's strings are being pulled by corporate alcohol lobbyists?
Sorry for the political rant,folks,I just think politics & common sense do not mix well much of the time. Let the people have their home brew. You're still getting sales taxes,for God's sake.

Actually it is not backwards. It's the way it works. Feds say that they don't care and that it is up to the individual States to decide. Don't like what your State decides? Move or fight your own people for your rights.

You're wrong. It's the owner of this forum's rules - no politics outside the debate forum.

bernerbrau said this thread is for anyone who thinks that the prez drinking homebrew is cool. the OP simply posted a link to the article and didn not say if he/she agreed with the article or asked "who else thinks this is cool?". So, no, i am not wrong that this thread is not about that. i didn't say antyhing about the forum rules.

i'm not trying to be objectionable, i just enjoy reality and how things actually happen not how people say they do. :D

and @UnionDr rights are taken everyday by governments in general. our system of government was not meant to have non-participating citizens. if you don't speak up, they will take it from you.

HAHAHAHAHA.....sorry, I always laugh at **** like that. People who live in fear crack me the **** up!

I don't need to worry too much here in Ohio. They'll take tax revenue any way they can get it. So much the better for me & my fermenter. But I do have hopes for others less fortunate that the President making home brew will help to change some states minds.

Stop......my ribs are killing me.......co-workers are wondering what's so damn funny.

bernerbrau said this thread is for anyone who thinks that the prez drinking homebrew is cool. the OP simply posted a link to the article and didn not say if he/she agreed with the article or asked "who else thinks this is cool?". So, no, i am not wrong that this thread is not about that. i didn't say antyhing about the forum rules.

1. When I said "this thread is for people to talk about how cool it is that the president is indirectly making homebrew", I was not speaking in an absolutely literal sense. I was deliberately trying to lighten the mood, and I was trying to imply that it was for lighthearted discussion, not serious debate. I was not trying to make this thread exclusionary in any way.
2. I revised my statement as soon as you took it for a thesis point that needed to be rebutted.
3. All serious political discussion goes in the debate forum.
4. All serious political discussion goes in the debate forum.

i'm not trying to be objectionable, i just enjoy reality and how things actually happen not how people say they do. :D

You bashed his post telling two people who talking politics to take it to the debate forum. You were wrong and you're wrong again.

I'm actually trying to get a hold of the White House chef to see if I can get the recipe, and do a real quick 1-on-1 for an article. I haven't gotten turned down, I just keep calling at the wrong times.

You know the President isn't brewing, that's for sure. This is the same guy that chose Bud Light for the Beer Summit. A great opportunity for craft beer exposure to the world and he chooses Bud Light!!.

Should send them the Edwort Apfelwein recipe. That'll really get the party started.

At least they had the ayinger marzen & paulaner hefewietzen. But havin a beer with the pres is way cool. I have a couple things to discuss with him. A couple beers would help. Maybe show him how to make IPA's or my whiskely. At least he's cool enough to buy & use some home brewing equipment. At 90-100 bottles,it has to be a 10G batch. Cause I get 66-67 bottles out of 6G. Now if he'll just get after all the states to make home brewing legal...:ban:

it's news again because the medal of honor recipient asked to have a beer with the president. also, because the white house homebrewing isn't a fact that probably sticks in the collective memory as much as it does ours.

At least the pres likes making good beer. Or at least buying the equipment to have his chefs make it for him.

Very cool, I hadn't heard this before!

:off:
Homebrewing is illegal in some of the states? Sorry, ignorant Canadian here. Is there still "dry states" and is that the problem or are there states that you can buy beer but not homebrew? Either way, that is a bummer!
P.

I noticed in the article - didn't watch video - that they imply the WH Chefs, not the staff or elected officals brew. Yes they support it, just like SWMBO supports my brewing (to keep me out of trouble I think).

As for Pascal's OT question - I think Alabama is the only state that bans homebrewing. Other states have 'dry areas' where the purchase of alcohol is prohibited, but the homebrewer can makes soem for his own uses. Texas comes to mind as having wet and dry counties

You think they are making extract kits with newbie esters?? LOL....

Hmm. I'm thinking the chefs at the White House probably went all grain. They're probably pretty good at making anything that humans can eat.

Or maybe they sent a request for quick lessons to Charlie Papazian or John Palmer.

The real question is what kind of equipment the Obamas bought for this. I bet they sprang for a Sabco Brew Magic.

Homebrewing is illegal in some of the states? Sorry, ignorant Canadian here. Is there still "dry states" and is that the problem or are there states that you can buy beer but not homebrew? Either way, that is a bummer!
P.

Yeah, there's a small handful of states where, while buying beer is legal, making it is not. In at least one of those cases, even buying beer beyond a certain ABV is illegal...

Glad to not be in one of those states! CT may tax the crap out of us, but at least they leave us homebrewers well enough alone! :mug:

Homebrewing is illegal in some of the states?

Yep. There are threads around here that discuss it. I even saw an article that someone posted about someone in Alaska being arrested because he had large quantities of yeast.

Yep. There are threads around here that discuss it. I even saw an article that someone posted about someone in Alaska being arrested because he had large quantities of yeast.

That doesn't make any sense. HR 1337 of 1978, which stipulated allowing any adult in the United States to "produce wine and beer for personal and family use and not for sale without incurring the wine or beer excise taxes or any penalties for quantities per calendar year of: (1) 200 gallons if there are two or more adults in the household and (2) 100 gallons if there is only one adult in the household" was signed into law on October 14, 1978.

Maybe if you lived in a dry county, this would be different. But a whole state disallowing it?

I'd definitely march on my state capitol and demand the law to be changed.

P.

There are some states where homebrewing is still illegal. And while there are no more dry states, there are still dry town and dry counties. It's interesting where you find them too. You can find a whole list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dry_communities_by_U.S._state

And there are still some really neolithic laws restricting sales in many, many states. A lot of places you can't buy anything on Sunday outside of a bar. Some states you can only get 3.2% ABV beer or below in a grocery store, and anything else has to be in a specialty liquor store. As though high alcohol beers and hard liquors will somehow contaminate food. Bah.

Did we just jump in a time machine and go back to the Super Bowl when this was first reported?

The soldier that had a beer with the prez yesterday had some of the homebrew, therefore it's in the news again, and since most folks don't bother to look around to see if something beer newsy could have already possibly been posted today (or any day) then they neglect to see things like this thread from 2 hours ago Home Brewing at the White House

Which also references the superbowl thread.

Since it's beer news it's going covered on all the other beer sites we read, and therefore it's going to, like every other beer thing going to be posted multiple times the next few days.

I predict 6 MORE threads before Monday. ;)

Your not allowed to have or brew alcohol on the reservations up there either. Drinking is a big problem on the res. The whit man took their land,took their gold,took their lives. Then shoved them on the res till something valuable was found then off they go. And now they can't even drown their sorrows? They already had their pride taken away. It's like taking away their dignity.
And the reasons given by some dumb politicians for not allowing home brewing is laughable on sites like this where we know better. Yet they allow all those stills...

The soldier that had a beer with the prez yesterday had some of the homebrew, therefore it's in the news again, and since most folks don't bother to look around to see if something beer newsy could have already possibly been posted today (or any day) then they neglect to see things like this thread from 2 hours ago Home Brewing at the White House

Since it's beer news it's going covered on all the other beer sites we read, and therefore it's going to, like every other beer thing going to be posted multiple times the next few days.

Is there a Congressional Medal of Honor website(s)? I'd rather read more about the Marine.....;)

Emphasis added. I would like to make a small correction to you here Revvy. It was a Marine, not a soldier. I'm a former Marine myself, and there is a distinction. :) Not saying anything bad about our compatriots in the Army with that, just noting the distinction for those who might not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back