Oats in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amaycock071

Reaction score
Hi guys!

On of my friends and I were discussing meads again over the weekend and we wondered if anyone has any experience using oats. We know that in the brewing of bitters and stouts etc that adding oats give a "full mouth" feel to the brew and I thought this could be interesting with mead too giving them a lot more body and fullness. Has anyone had any experience with using them? Would you add some to primary or secondary? Is there any preparation necessary etc?

In other news just finished a banana melomel too. Bottled as of yesterday and some gold leaf put in to glitz it up for my girlfriend... I'm soppy like that! :p http://meadbrewing.blogspot.co.uk/

1234.jpg

Yup, they give body. Add rolled oats as oat water (very, very thin oatmeal) in primary. Toasting the oats before cooking is an option to get some toasty flavours. They do cause you to lose more when racking, from the extra sediment.

I plan on making a hydromel today or within a few days and would be very interested to hear more about using oats to add body. Does it change the flavor profile much, about how much should be added, and can it be tossed in dry during the primary?

Back