Oatmeal stout with notty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just been drinking an oatmeal stout which I made to my own recipe. Pretty pleased with how it came out, excellent actually. The notable component was replacing some of the roast barley with roast wheat and keeping the beer not too big. It finished at 1.018 which was a bit higher than I wanted but still tasted excellent. Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favourite 50 for the yeast, which I have found to be nice flavoured and low attenuating.

I'm about to do a rebrew and I have some notty slurry from a previous batch which would save me the hassle of making a starter.

I don't have much experience with notty (just one batch) but I found that it attenuated very highly and left a very nice hard-packed yeast cake.

Is Notty going to be suitable for an Oatmeal stout? I was thinking of mashing a bit higher than I would for the Denny's Fav and if it goes to 1.014 this time that would be fine. I just don't want it to run away from me and end at 1.010 and make it too dry and too alcoholic. It has 10% oats plus a high mash, surely that should put the brakes on the yeast a bit?

Thoughts?

Yeast finish a beer at the FG they want based on the number of yeast cells pitched, the temperature conditions during ferment, and the percentage of unfermentable sugars in the wort. Nottingham is no exception. Pitch the proper amount of yeast, keep it cool for the first week in the fermenter and use a recipe that should end with the desired FG and Nottingham will do just fine. A rule of thumb using slurry with the same batch size is to use about 1/4 of the slurry produced by the first batch. You can vary a bit from that but don't use the entire slurry and expect the desired results.

Back