Oatmeal Stout Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottagebrews

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just worked up an extract oatmeal stout recipe that's a modified version of one I did two years ago and never really liked that much. I was hoping I could get some input on what I've come up with.

:ban: Thanks! :ban:

Fermentables:
6 lbs. light DME
16 oz. Dark Chocolate Malt
04 oz. Crystal Malt – 60L
04 oz. Biscuit Malt
12 oz. Flaked oats, toasted
04 oz. Flaked barley

Hops:
2 oz. EKG (5% AA), 60 minutes
0.5 oz. EKG (5% AA), 10 minutes

Yeast:
WYeast 1469 (West Yorkshire)

Other:
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Target OG: 1.051
Target FG: 1.016
Target ABV: 4.6% (pre-bottling)
Target IBU: c. 26
Target SRM: c. 31

Hey all,

I've just worked up an extract oatmeal stout recipe that's a modified version of one I did two years ago and never really liked that much. I was hoping I could get some input on what I've come up with.

:ban: Thanks! :ban:

Fermentables:
6 lbs. light DME
16 oz. Dark Chocolate Malt
04 oz. Crystal Malt – 60L
04 oz. Biscuit Malt
12 oz. Flaked oats, toasted
04 oz. Flaked barley

Hops:
2 oz. EKG (5% AA), 60 minutes
0.5 oz. EKG (5% AA), 10 minutes

Personally, if I was going with extract, I would go with Marris Otter LME rather than light DME. And, since you are steeping, why not go with a partial mash instead? Add 1 lb. of 6 row or 2 row to the rest of your grains...BINGO! Your starches will now be converting to sugars.

Also, the dark chocolate is going to be bitter. maybe use/mix pale chocolate malt. Also, a pinch of black barley or even black prinz if you preferr something less bitter.

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to have enough room in my pot to do a partial mash--I think 2.5# of grains is about as much as I'll be able to use efficiently. It would be nice to get that conversion, though...

Bitterness is definitely something I'd like to avoid. What if I amend this to 10 oz. chocolate (instead of dark chocolate) malt, 4 oz. de-bittered black, and up the crystal 60 to 6 oz? That keeps my color constant but should cut out a lot of the tannins.

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to have enough room in my pot to do a partial mash--I think 2.5# of grains is about as much as I'll be able to use efficiently. It would be nice to get that conversion, though...

Bitterness is definitely something I'd like to avoid. What if I amend this to 10 oz. chocolate (instead of dark chocolate) malt, 4 oz. de-bittered black, and up the crystal 60 to 6 oz? That keeps my color constant but should cut out a lot of the tannins.

If your trying to avoid bitter, go with the pale chocolate malt. Go ahead and get rid of the flaked barley too...your oats are going to do the same thing. as far as crystal 60...yep, turn it up a little bit if you get rid of the flaked barley. But, use some Briess black barley....maybe 3 to 4 oz.as it will make the foam nice and chocolaty brown.:rockin:

Back