Oatmeal Stout Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im trying to come up with another Oatmeal Stout to brew and I cant decide on a grain bill so I figured I'd ask for some feedback. Whatever grist I choose I'll be mashing at 155f and going for about 1.070 OG, hopping with EKG to about 28IBU, adding 1/2 lb of lactose, and fermenting with WLP002. Open to suggestions on tweaking whats here as well. Thanks!

Maris Otter(70.97%)
Flaked Oats(16.13%)
Black Barley(3.23%)
Chocolate Malt(3.23%)
Special B(3.23%)
Crystal 120(3.23%)

Maris Otter(73.33%)
Flaked Oats(10%)
Black Barley(5%)
Crystal 80(3.33%)
Chocolate(3.33%)
Special B(3.33%)
Crystal 120(1.67%)

My personal preference, I think, would be to go with the second list; and since you're adding lactose, I'd mash at a bit lower temp to get a little bit more of the sugar fermented.

Just an opinion though. Both look pretty tasty.

My personal preference, I think, would be to go with the second list; and since you're adding lactose, I'd mash at a bit lower temp to get a little bit more of the sugar fermented.

Just an opinion though. Both look pretty tasty.

Thanks... I edited the OP to specify mash temp. I guess its not too high but I want a thick chewy beer.

Then I think you're on the right track for a really tasty chewy beer. Maybe do a heavy 10% oatmeal and a cool 155. I love the flavor of special b- that'll be really nice in this beer. Good luck.

Cheers.

Back