oatmeal hard apple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonian

Reaction score
How hot and how long should water be for oatmeal to activate the enzymes to make a mash? I had a crazy idea about making a grainer tasting hard apple cider today and I wanted to experiment with proportions.

I've never done an all grain beer or even an extract beer so I'm sorry if I used the wrong term to describe the mashing process. But can anyone give me a good temperature range for achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

im kinda new at this too but i have done a few partial mash beers and i think you should steep the oats at a temp of 150 for about 20 to 25 mins. I could be wrong but this would be my suggestion. Now you little experiment sounds interesting though. I would be interested to hear how this came out.

A consideration on that, because you would need a source of enzymes in order to mash any of those grains. Perhaps malted oats would work, but if you are using oatmeal flakes (or maybe you have to do this for malted oats too), you would need some form of alpha/beta amylase, gum rests etc. Most people use barley for that process.

I believe that oats are supposed to provide body and smoothness to some oatmeal beers. Would a quicktest for texture be workable by mixing a hard cider with maltodextrin to see what the increase in body would do? (Separate mix post bottle. As in grab a Woodchucks, JK Scrumpy, Strongbow, whathaveyou and mix in a bit of dissolved maltodextrin?)

Anyone have any follow up as to how this worked? I just added a cup of oats and a cup of raisins to the secondary of a 2 gallon batch of quick cider.

Latest posts

Back