Oaked Bourbon..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East

Reaction score
So I made a Bourbon Barrel porter a while back, I put some oak chips in bourbon to soak and never got around to adding them to the secondary. Is there any issue to dumping the Bourbon and oak in the secondary even though the chips have been "Soaking" for about a month?

There shouldn't be any issues, that's around the length of time many brewers use to soak oak chips.

To be safe, add a bit at a time and test for taste after a few days. Add a bit more if needed.

I'm making a bourbon vanilla stout soon and plan on soaking oak chips and vanilla in bourbon for about 3 weeks and adding to secondary for 7 days. Maybe others with more experience can weigh in?

When I made my whiskely ale a few batches ago,I soaked 5 jiggers of Beam's Black in 4oz of nedium toast French oak chips while my dark ale recipe fermented. I put them in a plastic container with a tight lid on it in the fridge during fermentation.
When it was time for secondary,I poured them through a hop sock into secondary. Tied the bag of chips off,& droped them in,racking the beer on top of them. I let it go for 8 days,as the sample was very prominent with oak & bourbon flavor.
In retrospect,when I do it again,I think 3oz of oak with 3 jiggers of bourbon would be better. It'd allow the malts to shine through more with dark ales of lighter malt constituency. In other words,better balance.

Latest posts

Back