Oak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I have a red ale that I want to add some burboun and oak to but I wasn't planning on transferring the beer to a secondary and wasn't sure if I should add the oak and bourbon now in the bucket or put it in the keg and let it age a little while its carving?

I make an awesome oak ale and I ferment it on 4 oz of oak cubes. Initially I added the oak at secondary, but the flavor of oak really comes out in the ferment. If it were me and fermentation has occurred I would secondary and add the oak and bourbon.

I've heard that adding the oak in primary can lead to some strange flavors. If the fermentation is done though, I'm not sure what would happen if you just dump them in the bucket. Most people add it in secondary. I've only heard of a couple of people adding it to a keg, but if you leave it in the keg, the beer may continue to absorb the oaky flavors. It may be too much flavor over time...

Back