Oak Leaf Sweet Red Wine clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePGS

Reaction score
I know, this is ridiculous, but last night I tried this wine and really enjoyed it. I don't know enough about wine to even say what this style technically is, but does anyone know of a method to make a similar tasting wine?

Last edited:
Every now and then we enjoy a sweet red, have you tried Lambrusco, this is an easy drinking sweet red that also has a light sparkling to it.
You can easily make a clone of this wine, from what I've read, they can have a slight alcohol burn to them, probably due to very little aging, but you can easily avoid this when making it yourself.
I'd get a Red juice bucket (not wine kit), maybe a Merlot or Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend and ferment to dry, then back sweeten to your taste.
If you decide to make it, I can go into more detail.
I hope this helps.

Every now and then we enjoy a sweet red, have you tried Lambrusco, this is an easy drinking sweet red that also has a light sparkling to it.
You can easily make a clone of this wine, from what I've read, they can have a slight alcohol burn to them, probably due to very little aging, but you can easily avoid this when making it yourself.
I'd get a Red juice bucket (not wine kit), maybe a Merlot or Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon blend and ferment to dry, then back sweeten to your taste.
If you decide to make it, I can go into more detail.
I hope this helps.
I've had Lambrusco and do enjoy it. I looked into it a bit further and the oak leaf is considered a red dessert wine I guess. Its not overly sweet though, which is what I like about it.

Dessert wines are usually very sweet, here is a list that I use to follow, it is in SG instead of g\l, it may be easier to follow when back sweetening:

Dry Wines = S.G. up to 1.004 (less than 1% residual sugar).
Off-Dry Wines = S.G. greater than 1.004 to 1.008 (1% to 2% residual sugar).
Semi-Sweet Wines = S.G. greater than 1.008 to 1.012 (2% to 3% residual sugar).
Sweet Wines = S.G. greater than 1.012 (over 3% residual sugar)

It's been yrs since I've followed and charts for back sweetening, I back sweeten to a level that my wife and I enjoy with a simple sugar.

Back