Oak Chips - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9mmruger

Reaction score
When using oak chips, I understand, according to what I have read, that you boil them and then let them soak for a bit. When adding to the mead, do you put in the "broth" as well as the chips, or chips only?

In the past I've always discarded the water that the chips soaked in. There's still plenty of character for them to contribute. I've also put them in a veggie steamer and steamed them for 15 minutes.

In the past I've always discarded the water that the chips soaked in. There's still plenty of character for them to contribute. I've also put them in a veggie steamer and steamed them for 15 minutes.

Same here, I discard the water.....used to boil on stovetop - anymore, I just put 'em in a cup of H2O in the microwave and nuke 'em for a few minutes (to a good boil), drain, let cool, and add 'em. No issues of any sort and I get at least as much oak flavor as i want...sometimes a bit more, even ...heh

I have never boiled them. I just rinse the dust off and put them in the carboy in a hops bag.

I have never boiled them. I just rinse the dust off and put them in the carboy in a hops bag.

Is this for sanitary reasons? I am assuming these are the pre-toasted chips, if that is the case.

Or is there a benefit to leaching them before using them? I have only used the untoasted chips and toasted them myself immediately before addition, but have never boiled them.

Is this for sanitary reasons? I am assuming these are the pre-toasted chips, if that is the case.

Or is there a benefit to leaching them before using them? I have only used the untoasted chips and toasted them myself immediately before addition, but have never boiled them.

The rinsing is for sanitary reasons. The hops bag is because it makes it easier to remove the oak when done. Leaching them prior to use, takes out what you are getting from the oak. It doesn't need anything. Just rinse off dust and drop in.

I have heard of making a tincture or extract by soaking in vodka. What would be the recommended oz's of chips or cubes to a cup of vodka and how many drops of the extract to a gallon?

Do you really want to add vodka to your mead? I just bag, rinse, and add. The alcohol in the mead will extract what you want from the oak just fine.

Do you really want to add vodka to your mead? I just bag, rinse, and add. The alcohol in the mead will extract what you want from the oak just fine.

I second this. Don't make it to complicated. The oak does it's own thing. Trust the oak. And remember at the end of the secondary you have at least 10% ABV if not up to 14% or 16% depending on the yeast. Not only is this sanitary but it is also enough to extract flavors.

Matrix

I was thinking of using it as a quick addition . Since the extract would need no aging. like at 16:30 in this vid. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDP1ubIci8[/ame]

Back