Oak Chip Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky137

Reaction score
I'd like to start experimenting with aging some of beers on oak, and had some questions:

1. Is there anything special that needs to be done to raw oak pieces before using? My dad is felling an old oak on our property, and it'd be neat to cut up some of it and use it. Do you roast them before? Just soak them in booze?

2. How much do you use /gallon of beer, and for how long? Are there any standards or concerns here?

3. I would imagine they're best racked on-top-of in secondary?

Thanks all!

(1) Usually people toast the oak first; different levels of char impart different flavor profiles. But I unfortunately don't know details of that.

(2) Usually the oak will take on the order of one month to fully impart its flavor, tannins, etc. But you can do less and taste as you go. As for quantity, I'd say that order of magnitude, you're looking at from less than one ounce up to a few ounces. But this varies with the shape of the oak (is it chips, which impart more flavor more quickly, or cubes, which take more time?), the toast, and the species. American oak, which I'm guessing is what your old tree is, has a much stronger flavor and may be objectionable if used in the same quantities as European oak.

(3) I think you can just add them whenever. You can steam them briefly by microwaving to sterilize.

Back