Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcross13

Reaction score
Looking for a good recipe for my new oak barrel? Wondering what styles would any one suggest for some oak aging.

You can oak anything, really. But most folks who do so usually do a Stout, a Barleywine, a RIIS, a DIPA. Big things like that. But have you ever tried any of Innis and Gunn? They're lighter body beers that are aged in barrels.

Hmmm, oak-aged IIPA. Intriguing.

I did a barrel-aged Scotch ale (okay, so it was oak cubes soaked in bourbon added to the secondary) that did pretty well in competition. I am currently soaking cubes in Crown Royal and another batch in some single-malt Scotch (I can't remember which one, but it's pretty good). I have 5g of Scottish 70/- that will get split between the two. Trying to hit the I&G style, like Revvy was mentioning. I need to find a vanilla bean too. Maybe I'll use a few ml of vanilla extract instead.

Might I ask on were somone will be able to get a oak barrel? And how much? Also if you do age a beer in there would you have to get a new barrel afterwords?

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Might I ask on were somone will be able to get a oak barrel? And how much? Also if you do age a beer in there would you have to get a new barrel afterwords?

Adventures in homebrewing is where I ordered mine from for 80.00 I believe. I could drive to the store to get it. Shipping I hear is quite high. If you take care of it, you can use it for years. And even after its use for normal beers has ended, you can use it for sours.

I am looking to pick a couple up from the Woodinville wineries. I am looking for one for a barley wine and the other for a sour.

I have an oak aged black IPA at fort collins brewery. It was quite good and I don't even like IPAs. When oak aging hoppy beers it seems like you would need to use a fairly fresh barrel so it doesn't have to spend much time in the barrel losing hop flavor.

To the OP. Like has been said already, big beers. Imperial Stouts, DIPAs, Barleywines.

To those looking for barrels, ask your local wineries and breweries. A winery will sell old barrels or ones infected. Breweries are often using bourbon barrels and will sell them off after they loose their bourbon flavor.

Back