O2 regulator for disposable O2 bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking into getting an O2 setup going (been shaking my fermenters for too many years...). I'm interested in using the disposable O2 bottles that can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc., but have only found regulators like these. What I would like is an O2 regulator that has a flow meter, so I can easily make my O2 addition repeatable from batch to batch. The issue I'm having is that it seems every regulator that has a flow meter is for a medical application and requires a medical O2 bottle.

Does anyone know of an O2 regulator that has a flow meter that can attach to the disposable bottles found at a hardware store?

Thanks!

I doubt that they exist. Those disposable bottles aren't really made for any application that would require an accurate gauge on the regulator.

Agreed, probably not worth your trouble.

I believe the small bottles are a CGA 601 fitting (1"-20 lefthand thread), and my cursory search came up with zilch for adapters. The best bet is to call Concoa (www.concoa.com) or the like and talk to an engineer, but again not likely. A machine shop could custom build, but cost and liability will be high.

The medical bottles can be had for pretty cheap, as can the welding type. Look at a medical bottle and a regulator like THIS. It has multiple flow rates, which would be great for brewing purposes.

FWIW, this is my plan in the (hopefully) near future.

Prost!

EDIT: Check this out, some great info. I'm sure there is more as well.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=414616

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for the feedback and info! I haven't fully researched the topic yet, but to fill an medical bottle, don't I need a prescription? Could a medical bottle regulator fit a welding bottle? If this info is in the thread posted, please ignore as I will be reading that next!

Thanks again!

Back