o2 exposure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
I was watching a beersmith podcast with Charlie bamforth about flavor stability and he mentioned that running "stale" beer through yeast would clean up the stale oxidized character..My current beer was exposed to o2 in the fermenter while cold crashing, even used the krausen harvester contraption to help reduce o2 exposure, none the less i got o2 into my fermenter , i already planned on adding fresh yeast at bottling so my question is should that be enough to clean up the beer like Charlie mentioned?

When he says "run it through yeast" what does that mean? Like a filtering thing? Add more yeast?

Yeast will clean up O2. But clean up oxidation? That's a new one on me.

Interesting, but like above im trying to wrap my head around the yeast metabolizing an oxidized component. Sounds like the fountain of youth

It wouldnt surprise me that certain strains can fix certain things. They make yeast to metabolize many things to produce an end product. Theres some plastic companies that use yeast to produce the pre compounds to make plastics

at around the 18:20 min mark he mentions it, maybe im misunderstanding something

If you mean it was exposed to o2 during cold crashing as it sucked back som o2 due to the beer volume getting smaller during CC, I wouldnt do anything about it.

I listened to the section about the column of immobilized yeast. As I understand it, the yeast removes some of the staling compounds, but won't unoxidize the beer.

sure that makes sense :) Mr. Bamford dd say that yeast love stale beer though and that sodium metabispulphite and yeast would clean a stale beer up. Did he not?

Well, i can only hope that my beer did not get to much o2 uptake and trust the cbc1 yeast at bottling to clean up a bit or better yet not even show signs of oxidation. Normally i would not care too much cause the beer would not last long enough to show signs of staling but this particular beer i want to cellar (9-9.5%) and age a case til next Christmas, luckily i have plenty of time to rebrew if needed until then

sure that makes sense :) Mr. Bamford dd say that yeast love stale beer though and that sodium metabispulphite and yeast would clean a stale beer up. Did he not?

You're right. I looked up what I thought was the podcast the OP was referring to - before he posted the right one. The one I saw was Podcast #164 (http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/01/2...th-dr-charlie-bamforth-beersmith-podcast-164/), where Dr. Bamforth just states that yeast will remove some staling compounds (around 24 minutes in). In Podcast #74 he goes farther and states that it cleans up stale beer. First time I've heard that.

I have heard Jamil say that Bret would clean up oxidation. I don’t remember which show.

I have heard Jamil say that Bret would clean up oxidation. I don’t remember which show.

I believe it’s on a 2016 episode of Brew strong, i just listened to an episode he mentions it, probably a q&a show, they answer a ton of questions but hard to track a specific one with the whole episode is generally “q&a”

If anyone bothers to invest the time to pull up the pertinent comments, I'd be interested in what "clean up" means in the context of already oxidized compounds and attenuated characters...

Cheers!

Well, i can only hope that my beer did not get to much o2 uptake and trust the cbc1 yeast at bottling to clean up a bit or better yet not even show signs of oxidation. Normally i would not care too much cause the beer would not last long enough to show signs of staling but this particular beer i want to cellar (9-9.5%) and age a case til next Christmas, luckily i have plenty of time to rebrew if needed until then

A lot of beers which have evolved to be good for aging historically have significant o2 exposure. If you age in a cask you’re going to get significant oxidation, it’s just part of the profile. Now I’m not sure how oxidation from a cask compares to oxidation from cold crashing but in my accidental experiment (pumped a **** ton of air into a scotch ale due to a stuck siphon) the beer has only gotten better with age, currently at 10 months. Light beers and hoppy beers I’d be worried, but on a beer that’ll get better with age I wouldn’t sweat it.

Not advocating sloppy technique but I strongly agree with @GPP33. Beers that are intended for aging are likely to survive a little O2 exposure better than beers designed to be consumed as fresh as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it's oxygen exposure to the alcohol content itself that oxidizes the beer. Not sure how yeast would reverse that

Back