O-fest grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed a good amount, but it's getting to be that time of year and wanted some feedback. After mulling it over, I've come up with a couple different options. Which do yall like best in order from best to worst?

1) 50% Vienna / 50% Munich
2) 50% Pils / 50% Munich
3) 80% Vienna / 20% Munich
4) 80% Pils / 20% Munich
5) 33% Pils / 33% Vienna / 33% Munich

Any other suggestions? :mug:

I recently did one that was pretty close to #5, and it was fantastic, so #5 gets my vote.

The one I've got right now is awesome. 75% Vienna/ 25% 10°L Munich
Hochkurz double decoction mash with each boil at 15 minutes.

Those are all totally legit grain bills. There's no better or worse here, it just depends on how malty you want this. I.e. do you want an overtly-malty American style O'fest or a more traditional pils-based O'fest? Or something in between? I've made about all your variants and loved them all, but what I choose depends on my mood.

If you can't decoct, I'd get some melanoiden or aromatic malt in there, maybe 4-5%. It's not as good a decoction but you can get close.

I like all of them, probably #5 if I had to choose (I've done a 40/30/30 that was nice). You're 5 months late to brew an oktoberfest though.....

Yep, malty versions will need 2 good months of lagering to mellow, so you'll be a little late. The 80/20 pils/Munich might get by with 5-6 weeks though. Certainly don't need 6 months.

I've been doing a 50/50 Pils/Munich with a touch of caramunich that's been turning out real nice.

Also just tried a 60/40 pils /Munich with a single Schmitz decoction. Still have a few weeks of lagering to go, can't wait to taste this one.

I would do #3 since you can't decoct. Adding 10-15% biscuit will get your melanoiden up along with the Vienna base. Just step mash through the temp changes, 140/148/155/168.

Lots of interesting discussion...thanks guys. Still have a lot to mull over!

You must be the new guys up in Conroe! I'm in Houston too.

Sure are and cool to see so many new breweries popping up in the area! Who are you with?

Back