Nylon/Muslin bag over keg dip-tube - filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glacious

Reaction score
I brew a lot of hoppy IPA's and never filter. I use Irish Moss / Whirfloc in every brew, and cold crash @ 38F for 3-5 days before kegging and it's really gotten my beer much clearer.

The issue I have is when siphoning from the carboy to the keg, I'll get some sediment that goes into the keg. The first pull of the tap after carbonating will have quite a bit of sediment, then it fades away. If the keg is disturbed at all, you'll get some more floaties for the next couple pulls.

Having never filtered beer, how do you go about removing the floaties from your hoppier beers (or other adjuncts)?

What I was thinking of trying and have read of varied success:
nylon/muslin hop bag over the keg dip tube, or possibly even simpler put it over the end of the siphon hose so a bag isn't soaking in the beer in the keg for a couple weeks/months (however inert it may be).

:mug:

I ferment in 6.5g glass, almost always dry hopped using free swimming pellets, so there's usually a crap load of pellet mush to cold crash to the bottom over a few days of 34°F.

Then I CO2 push to keg. I rubber-band a small pouch of sanitized nylon hop bag material with a large stainless steel washer within over the end of the SS dip tube in the carboy before starting the push. The washer keeps the pouch from simply collapsing so it provides more surface area. I'll start with the pouch a couple of inches above the mush, then lower it at the end of the push.

No beer is left in the carboy and I've never had a problem with dispensing. There's usually only a couple of tablespoons of trubby remains at the bottom of a kicked keg...

Cheers!

Back