NYC Good Eats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly_belly

Someday After A While
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be in Midtown with the family in a few weeks and would like to know where the good eats are. I'm not interested in the fine dining or the touristy places but rather a good deli, pizzeria, burger joint, street vendor or anything else that would be unique to NY or just be a great experience for the kids. Variety is key as we'll have to eat quite a few meals.

I would also like to visit a great cheese shop.

Any other not often mentioned points of interest would be appreciated.

Thank you!

You can't go wrong with Deli or pizza in NYC.

Katz's Deli on the lower East Side is the best IMHO.

Any pizza place in NYC is pure gold. I think it's impossible to get bad pizza there. Eat it like a local. Get it with cheese and pepperoni and fold it down the middle. Let the grease run off the slice a little before you dig in.

I'm hungry thinking about it. There's only 1 place in Buffalo that does good NY style pizza, and even that place just misses the mark.

If you love pizza, go to Lombardi's in Little Italy. It's worth the price and the possible wait.

The Shake Shack has (arguably) the best regular hamburgers around, but be prepared for a wait. If you want to pay out the @$$ for a hamburger, get to Minetta Tavern & order the $30 waigyu beef burger. It's like beefy butter on a bun.

Any deli will do for that, but of course, there is Katz' Deli if you want 2 pounds of meat between two slices of bread. Heck, the bodega on the corner of where I lived in Brooklyn had a pretty dang good deli counter.

If your weekends are free, get to Williamsburg & The Brooklyn Flea/Smorgasburg. A lot of good food out there! Don't go to the one at Greenpoint, not that it's bad, but the one on N. 7th Street where you can look across the river at Manhattan. If you do go, say hi to the guys & gals at Asia Dog for me! And if Choncho's Tacos are still there, definitely get one of their fish tacos.

Back