"Nutty" American style help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbrew12

Reaction score
So I recently moved to South Dakota from Denver. Unfortunately there's only ONE "brewery" here in Sioux Falls and a very small selection of micro-brews here in Sioux Falls. I basically moved to a boring beer state.... It's driving me CRAZY!! :cross:

When I lived in Denver I had one of my favorite beers at BJ's Brewhouse. It's their Nutty Brewnette. I've never had anything like it elsewhere and have always wanted to brew it. Well... now it's time.

Problem is, I'm fairly new to brewing, maybe 6-7 months, and have no idea where to start with it. I was wondering if anyone had any recipe suggestions or a way to go about figuring out, ideas, etc... I don't necessarily care if it's a clone or not, the main thing is that I'm after that nutty flavor towards the end.

Here's a link to the beer I'm talking about.

http://www.bjsbrewhouse.com/bj-beers/beers/nutty-brewnette®

Hopefully someone has some ideas and I can get this started!!

Thanks in advance :mug:

They practically give you the recipe....

Style:American Brown Ale
Alcohol:5.9% by volume
Malt Variety:2-row Pale, English Crystal, Briess Victory and Special Roast, Chocolate Bitterness (IBU):35
Hop Variety:Magnum, Willamette, UK Fuggles

Work with these ingedients... Since it is an American Ale, the yeast will be understated. Use US-05 or Wyeast 1056. Obviously the 2 row will be the bulk of the grist. Probably at least 1-1.5 lbs of the crystal. I doubt its much more than ounce or 2 of the Special Roast. Chocolate and Victory will make up the balance. Hops will get the majority of the bittering from the Magnum at 60. The fuggles and the Willamette will give flavoring/aroma additons... Possibly some light dryhopping. Use Beersmith to match IBU's and ABV. I've never tasted that beer so I can't narrow it down more than that for you.

I think BigB got it about right. You could probably call them after you formulate your recipe and ask the brewmaster what he thinks - and what yeast they use. Good luck.

Sounds good! Like I said, fairly new and only ever have used kits so I have no idea how to put together stuff like that. That description really helps though and I'll give it a shot. I saw that nut brown ale today NC. I thought about picking it up but I'm just starting a pineapple wine so I'm gonna wait till I get this up and going and then give this nutty beer a shot.

Back