British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just racked this from primary to the keg after 9 days on the yeast. It attenuated perfectly, nailed the FG at 1.011 and my OG was 1.054. The hydrometer sample tasted a bit odd but I'm notching that up to the temp at 66 and the EKG still being more promenent since it is young. The aroma was wonderful and exactly what I had expected. Color, perfect. I can't wait a month or two before it mellows out. I'll probably pull one off in 2 weeks and see where it's at. Thanks for the recipe, it's going to be great.

Oh, I plan on putting this into a few bottles to enter it into our club only competition. I'll keep you posted on the results!

Cool, I just kegged mine tonight as well. It's my first beer ever. I am impressed, what a great recipe. I think I am going to get a very nice response to this on Super Sunday!

So, is there a consensus yet on the best liquid yeast to try? 1028 maybe? I'm only looking at using liquid because I think I'm gonna wash the yeast and reuse to make this beer many many many times;)

Thanks!

So, is there a consensus yet on the best liquid yeast to try? 1028 maybe? I'm only looking at using liquid because I think I'm gonna wash the yeast and reuse to make this beer many many many times;)

Thanks!

Don't use WY1335- I did not like the result.

Thanks!

I've used Notty, 1099, and 1028. I would not use 1099 again. 1028 was pretty good, but my fav. was Notty. It really accentuated the "nutty-ness" of the beer. Notty would be my preference when I brew this one again.

And Nottingham is cheap enough that you don't have to worry about washing the yeast. Of course, you can always just throw a new batch on the yeast cake - even with dry yeast.

I actually used English 2-row as my base malt for this one. Just tasted my hydrometer sample yesterday, soo yummy! Its amazing what putting certain malts together will produce, as far as I can tell, great recipe.

lil sparky, how did it work out with some munich in there?

and i see hugh said not to use 1099, i have a bunch stored that i use on my american brown that i like, any reason to stay away from it?

Duffman's got the nut brown in the bag! I followed the recipe pretty closely only substituting Willamettes for both additions. They were 7.8 AA so I only added about .75 oz for the first addition and .5 for the second addition. I don't know if this was meant to be way malty or more balanced, but I think I'll be somewhere in the middle.

I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette! And I can't wait to break her in! Thanks Sparky! :mug:

My keg done got emptied today of this delicious beer. :eek:

I need to brew it again soon.

I've used Notty, 1099, and 1028. I would not use 1099 again. 1028 was pretty good, but my fav. was Notty. It really accentuated the "nutty-ness" of the beer. Notty would be my preference when I brew this one again.

It's very interesting that you say this. I am considering either 1028 or Notty for a repeat of the English brown as well as a pair of porters coming up (one maple, one smoked). I want something that creates a very smooth, easy drinking base beer (not overly sweet, not too dry or harsh). I may lean toward Nottingham for now then, because that's what's in my fridge.

first all grain brew today...

nailed my mash temps and the OG was pretty much right on.

i will report back in a month.

so im trying to brew this today if i can. i have an oz of 1st goldings and an oz of uk challenger. they are both around 7% so what should i do. i was thinking about .5 oz challenger at 60 min and .5 oz challenger and 1 oz 1st goldings both at 15 min. any input?

so im trying to brew this today if i can. i have an oz of 1st goldings and an oz of uk challenger. they are both around 7% so what should i do. i was thinking about .5 oz challenger at 60 min and .5 oz challenger and 1 oz 1st goldings both at 15 min. any input?
If it were me i might up the challenger amount to .75 oz at least. I loved this brew but I think it was a touch malty (and I like malt, not hops.) That's just one guys opinion; i think I'll adjust the hops up a bit the next time i brew.

hows everybodys bottle conditioning? I tried it at about 2 weeks in bottle and she still needs some time for all the roasty character to meld together. I'm refrigerating 2 more bottles to try this weekend when its a full 3 weeks old.

I couldn't wait and cracked open a pint after only one week in the bottle. Tastes very good at this early stage. Can't wait to see what it is like in a month. Best all grain beer I have brewed yet.

Damn you all are able to wait a month to drink it. One week in primary, second week cold crashing at 34 degrees, then into the keg for drinking!!!!!!

One week in primary is not long enough for the yeast to do their clean up work. It will be drinkable beer, but try leaving your beers in primary for at least 2 weeks and it will taste much better. The secret to waiting is brewing often enough to always have plenty of beer on hand that's ready to drink.

I actually agree with masonsjax. Let the yeast finish doing everything they can, and you'll probably be happier with the end result. Once I quit being impatient with my beer, I found I wasn't as frustrated with the (early) results. Now, I usually leave the beer in primary for 2-3 wks. If it's a light colored beer, I may rack it and let it clear in a secondary for a little longer, but usually I just put it in the kegerator and forget about it for a few more weeks. I found that the cold conditioning seems to help, too.

Just bottled mine last week and I think I'll let this one go for a while.....if I can! I'm already ready to dress this one up and take her out for a nice seafood dinner and then maybe, just maybe something else. My sample was crazy - very good and roasty, but also it tasted like my oatmeal and chocolate stouts! Which sounds cool but it's really got me wondering how she's gonna taste when she's all grown up!

I left a IPA sit in primary for 3 weeks for the first time and I agree.. I bottled and tried one after 2 weeks in the bottle.. my best beer so far.

I brewed this Nut Brown almost 2 weeks ago and plan on doing the same with it... it was my first AG batch.

It will be hard to wait once it gets into the keg though.

I am at bottling plus two weeks (give or take a day) and man what a great beer. It is taking all of my resolve to not make a return trip to the fridge for another pint. I'll be brewing this one again. Cheers.

Wow, I am at a loss for words. Tasted my nutty and its good, but somehow, someway this beer has turned into a Guinness! Its been 3 weeks in the bottles now and there is a small hint of roastiness to it in the background, but other than that this beer is all Guinness.

I had my big St Patricks day party last week and after sampling one or two with my assistant beer sampler (my brother) we both decided to pass it off to everyone as my new Guinness clone. Only a few were passed out but everyone agreed on the taste before I told them this was not what I was going for. However, all my initial tastes had a very stout like feel to them that is still there now. I'm actually quite impressed with it. I can't wait for the wonderful nutty roasty goodness to come through like I know it will!

Has anyone else picked up this taste in theirs??

The Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Irish Booty rides again!!

Sounds like a great brew....but if it tastes like Guinness I think ya might have done something a little off. Mine was fabulous as well but it was all nut brown ale. I'm glad you got something that tastes good though!

:mug:

Yeah, I can't imagine where the stout flavor is coming from. It's only got a little chocolate malt, and no roasted malt... At least you like it. Oh, and the new and improved name is awesome!

yeah i just pulled my first glass of a very very slightly tweaked version of this and no stout at all, its not overly dark either. Its fantastic tasting and wayyyyy too easy to drink

I'm looking at my notes and all I can see is that my initial mash temp was high at 156 so I brought it down and ended up after 60 minutes at 151. This and I also tried to repitch an extra pack of Notty but still ended up at 1.020 FG after an initial OG of 1.055.

But like I said, it was only at around 2 weeks in the bottle when I sampled it and it still tasted really, really good! Another couple weeks or so and I don't even know what I'll do but I will keep you posted! Thanks again Sparks!

And by the way, my brunette SWMBO has adopted the beer for herself. Every time I tell people the name she calls it the "Dana Beer" for short and says that I named it after her! I don't know what she's more proud of, being Triply Nutty or Doubly Slutty! :)

duffman, you crack me up.

The higher initial mash temp is the reason for the higher FG, but neither should cause a roasty/stout flavor. You weren't drunk when you were measuring out your ingredients, were you? Maybe you accidentally added an extra lb of roasted malt on accident... ;)

Recommend you give it another shot sometime and see if you don't end up with a proper nut brown!

Well I am going for this one, everyone on the site that have made it, loves it. I was worried that it was close to the ten gallons of New Castle I just made.

Since all grain I have only bought three bags so far. My first was the US pale malt 2 row. I like the Maris Otter for the New Castle, I don't think I will buy a whole bag of the US 2 row, but 20 pounds or so. If it is as good as they say, I will start buying bags of US 2 row then. that and the Victory Malt is all I need to do a batch.

Thanks for sharing Sparky! You are the man apparently.:mug:

let me just say that i have now gone through 25 gallons of a very slightly modified version of this and everyone who tastes it loves it. Can't go wrong with this beer

Latest posts

Back