British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finishing my first five gallons of this, I really like it. I get alot of plum flavour does anyone else ???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I however don't think that will improve the beer, to be honest. This is a great recipe as is.

Yeah, when doing contests I am always walking that line of trying to nail style guidelines and trying to brew a great tasting beer. Ultimately I end up brewing the way I like it since I'm the one who has to drink ~5 gallons of it.

For this particular contest I had to brew:
-a robust porter (which I did to style and scored well but not BOS)
-an APA (which I always make a little hoppier than the style guidelines)
-Northern English Brown (which based on comments in this thread I hypothesised would need a touch more hops but decided to brew as is since I wasn't experienced with the style or recipe).

As it stands, my APA did get dinged for being too hoppy, my brown was dinged for not being hoppy enough, but I am still in 1st place in the contest with a 9 point lead over 2nd place heading into the 4th and final beer.

Moral of the story, as long as you are close to style you should still get a great score. If you aren't sure, I wouldn't overthink/overtweak it trying to hit an exact style guideline, but if you are OCD about the guidelines, hopefully my judges comments will help you tweak this recipe. :mug:

As it stands, my APA did get dinged for being too hoppy, my brown was dinged for not being hoppy enough, but I am still in 1st place in the contest with a 9 point lead over 2nd place heading into the 4th and final beer.

Two of the judges said if it was less malty and/or more hoppy it would have been graded as excellent... so that's another possible tweak

I have brewed this beer with Pacman, Nottingham, and London ESB (1968). The beer brewed with 1968 is by far the best of the 3.

Just finished bottling this tonight. Made it with Maris Otter because it's all I had at the time. Drank the dregs in the bottling bucket-- this is REALLY good. Even warm and flat.

I've made this 3 times and this is a really great beer. I made it to the OP recipe the first time, then I swapped out the 2-row for Maris Otter, and the notting yeast to WLP007. It was an improvement.

Just started the boil on this. Used MO instead of american pale and accidentally used 1 lb of oats instead of 1/2. Also my fuggles is 5.2 AA and my EKG is 7.2 AA

If you like nut browns, you'll love this one!

Sorry for such a long delay on this thread, but I brewed this beer about a month ago. I swore that a nut brown wasn't something that I wanted 5 gallons of. This recipe may have changed my mind.

I got it kegged up about a week ago and it's almost carbed. It's still green, but what I get from it so far is very subtle and very drinkable. One of the off flavors that I'm getting (still young) is a black licorice, anise, flavor. There could be some room for play here. :) I used Notty for yeast. It was the only English style yeast I had available at the time.

Thanks for the great recipe. I'm sure I'll be sorry to see the bottom of this keg.

Prost!

This is the third AG batch I've done (first two were APA's). I brewed August 16th, fermented at 64*F, transferred to secondary on the 21st, cold-crashed to 39*F on Sept. 4th, kegged on Sept. 7th, and hooked up CO2 (to 10psi) on Sept. 14th.

I pulled my first few pints yesterday, and it tastes delicious! However, I am getting almost NO head. Maybe like 4mm of head, and only around the edges. It does last throughout the pint, but it is very minimal.

If I cover and shake the glass just a couple of times, I get a huge foamy head - but not when I'm pouring from the keg. So I know it's carbed OK, but something else is amiss. Seeing as how I'm still a n00b, what could be the cause of this? Also, this beer is very opaque. I have a strong LED flashlight, and I held it up to the back of the glass, pointed through it towards me, and I could not see the light except near the vertical sides of the glass. What could be causing all of this darkness? I was expecting a more clear look, similar to Newcastle.

For the record, even though I'm a rook I still take great pride in my process. I am a borderline perfectionist and it carries over into my hobbies well. I followed the OP's recipe to the letter, but my mash temp was a bit high (158-160) for 30 minutes or so. I treated my water using *this* as direction. (I know my city's water profile, and used 3:1 diluted to tap water, adding half a Campden tablet to the tap water before dilution. I added CaSO4 and CaCl2 to the mash and sparge water.)

My OG was 1.050, and my FG going into the keg was 1.010.

Any ideas on the lack-of-head issue?

Brewed this up last year and samples tasted great, until i got an infection. I was pretty upset as i was excited for this one. Ive decided i need to brew this up again now that my faulty brew bucket is trashed. Brew day is tomorrow and i cant wait to try this one already!

Im completely new to brewing and accidentally bought an all-grain kit the other week. While I found all-grain pretty challenging as a first experience, I had a blast doing so and would like to try a batch of this (to practice, to diversify). In fact, I drank a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale yesterday while researching recipes.. and I'm eager to get started on this recipe this week! However, I do need some pointers as I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

SO!! can anyone just quickly guide me through the general steps required for this recipe? It doesn't need to be detailed. I know I have to mash, then mash out, then sparge, boil and finally verify gravity before adding the yeast. But... for example, what goes in the mash? 2-row and oats only? or do i also put in chocolate, caramel and victory.. or do I need to steep those? If so, when do i add the steeped "tea" into the rest of the mix? One last bit of info i could use is the starting water for the mashing and the amount of required water for the sparging.

I know there are various techniques and ways to brew beer, but i just need to be pointed in the right direction :p :confused: Help me quench my thirst? ;)

Any ideas on the lack-of-head issue?

Could it be as simple as how you poured it into the glass? Most people pour down the side of the glass to reduce foaming but really you should be pouring straight down the middle. Sometimes for me that method can release TOO many bubbles so I start going down the side then switch to down the middle about 1/2 way through the pour.

Outside of that all I can tell ya is following the OP's recipe got me textbook head/head retention. You might just be under-carbing a bit, there are charts around showing you what you CO2 pressure should be set at for the temp of your beer to get the proper carbonation level. I think 10psi @39*F should be good but I don't have the charts in front of me. If all else fails a little carapils next time could help.

I just brewed a variation of this batch, we'll see how she turns out in a few months - see attached.

8.5 gal Water for mash
1.5 gal Water at boil
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lbs Victory Malt
4.0 oz Munich Malt
4.0 oz Vienna Malt
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml] Yeast

BIAB 6G
mash at 151F for 65 minutes
mashout of 159F for 5 minutes

4.0 oz Munich Malt
4.0 oz Vienna Malt

I am sure this will come out pretty good.

Out of interest why did you include Vienna and Munich? I think I would have replaced the Munich with Vienna and perhaps increased it too - the Vienna flavour really complements this style of beer well (i think).

I just scaled this recipe down to 4 gallons and brewed it with a buddy on Saturday. I tried doing this last year as one of my first AG's, but it didn't go very well being that I tried using a stove top and not an outdoor burner :cross:. No rolling boil = nasty flavors. Big mistake!

I also tried adding some spices in at the end of the boil (or not so much boil) last year to make it a Holiday Nut Brown. This year, I am going to make part of the batch a "holiday version," but will make a tea prior to bottling using a vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, a little nutmeg, and maybe some ginger. I don't want to overpower it, though.

We nailed the entire process, gravity readings, volumes, and all. I'm super excited about this batch. Will let ya'll know how it turns out!

Cheers :mug:

I only have safale s 04 on hand.. Bad idea? Or should i still proceed with this recipe? What should i expect?

I read elsewhere before on this recipe thread that safale 05 worked well. Why not safale 04?

05 brings out a bit more hop character. 04 tends to subdue hops a bit and bring out more malt character. It also drops out a little better in my experience. I say go for it.

I only have safale s 04 on hand.. Bad idea? Or should i still proceed with this recipe? What should i expect?

I just brewed this one using 04. Gave it a nice malty character and (to me) added a little more nut flavor.

Will report back once bottles are carbed up!!!

I just brewed this one with 04 and thought it gave it more of a malty and nut flavor I was looking for.

Will report back once my bottles are all carbed up.

I just brewed this one with 04 and thought it gave it more of a malty and nut flavor I was looking for.

Will report back once my bottles are all carbed up.

Amazing, thats what im looking for :) does Nottingham yeast add even more of that?

Amazing, thats what im looking for :) does Nottingham yeast add even more of that?

My I understanding is notty will add fruit esters at higher temps and will dry it out. Don't think it will be as malty.

Sorry for so many replies! My phone kept erroring!!

Just brewed this up again. :D
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412305357.179700.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412305371.604215.jpg

S05 gives you more of a malt backbone than Notties (in my experience) so don't think it will add more than S04 by the sounds of things.

I had never thought of using S04 but will definitely give it a try the next time I make this.

Is that your kettle? Can you add a photo that shows the top more clearly. I am interested to know how the steam gets out?

That is just a keg with the top cut off. I had the wort chiller in there for that picture so that is what is sticking out haha.

I am sure this will come out pretty good.

Out of interest why did you include Vienna and Munich? I think I would have replaced the Munich with Vienna and perhaps increased it too - the Vienna flavour really complements this style of beer well (i think).

We'll see. It's been a week and has dropped from 1.05 down to a stall out of 1.022. Low enough for secondary I guess but I wish it went further.

I just happened to have a few of these grains left over from the last batch and thought I'd throw them in, maybe give some subtle complexity? Good to know about the Vienna, I don't know how to pair malts yet.

If i added the geldings at 60 min what will happen. That's where I am now. Should I add the fuggle now too?

Please don't add geldings to your brew. If you put horses in your brew, they must have balls.

Your beer will taste and smell differently than the intended recipe, but put your fuggles in later instead of goldings.

It will still be a great brew.

I brewed 10gal of this last weekend. I pitched WLP013 into 5 gal (without a starter - first time ever I've used liquid yeast without making a starter.. just totally forgot). For the other 5 gal I decided to wing it.. While at the LHBS I decided to take a look at the dry yeast selection and saw Danstar's English Style yeast (Windsor). Based on nothing but the name I bought and pitched it. I just took a look on their website and saw that it says Windsor "will leave a relatively high gravity" which is not at all what I want..

So my question is: If the 5gal with Windsor finish too sweet for my liking, can I simply keg the WLP013 version and rack the Windsor on top of the 013 cake to have it finish 'er off? Fundamentally (or at least based on my limited experience) I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone had any reason no to try this.

I just took a sample ~4 days into fermentation and the WLP013 is down from 1.054 to 1.016 while the Windsor is at 1.022 . Still early, but neither shows signs of fermentation any more...

I just did brew this but I mixed up my hops and put the goldings in first for 60 min and the fuggle in second at the 15 min mark. How will mixing up the hops affect this brew? Plus I'm going to turn this pretty fast and keg it for my Halloween party on November 1st

I just did brew this but I mixed up my hops and put the goldings in first for 60 min and the fuggle in second at the 15 min mark. How will mixing up the hops affect this brew? Plus I'm going to turn this pretty fast and keg it for my Halloween party on November 1st

I have used fuggles around the 20-15 minute mark a few times and it comes through nicely.

I suggest, personal view, that you brew up an IPA or APA for November 1st and let this one sit a while rather.

Nice recipe. I just brewed my first English Brown Ale using Marris Otter, Crystal 60, Victory, and Chocolate in approximately the same proportions. I wanted to use Yorkshire yeast but my hbs didn't have it so I used Wyeast British Ale II instead. Apx. 1.5 oz EKG at 60 minutes and 1.5 oz Fuggles at flame out. My goal is to make a dry, toasty Northern Brown Ale like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

I brewed 10gal of this last weekend. I pitched WLP013 into 5 gal (without a starter - first time ever I've used liquid yeast without making a starter.. just totally forgot). For the other 5 gal I decided to wing it.. While at the LHBS I decided to take a look at the dry yeast selection and saw Danstar's English Style yeast (Windsor). Based on nothing but the name I bought and pitched it. I just took a look on their website and saw that it says Windsor "will leave a relatively high gravity" which is not at all what I want..

So my question is: If the 5gal with Windsor finish too sweet for my liking, can I simply keg the WLP013 version and rack the Windsor on top of the 013 cake to have it finish 'er off? Fundamentally (or at least based on my limited experience) I don't see why this wouldn't work, but I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone had any reason no to try this.

I just took a sample ~4 days into fermentation and the WLP013 is down from 1.054 to 1.016 while the Windsor is at 1.022 . Still early, but neither shows signs of fermentation any more...

Wish I could help you with this but I would think it would finish it off like you are thinking. Though 1.022 isn't overly sweet, it may just need a tasting and see how it is coming along

I don't know that I'd rack a partially fermented beer onto the yeast cake.

First, English yeasts are notorious for finishing what they're going to do quickly, then going dormant.

Second, you're not likely to wake up a dormant yeast by racking an alcoholic liquid that only has a few points of sugar that you want to convert. At the end if the day, ethanol is a waste product to the yeast and it's not something a yeast will necessarily wake up and look for as a good source.

Do you have the ability to make a starter? I'd consider making a starter and using a sanitary vessel or spoon or whatever to pull a small amount of your yeast cake and drop it into your starter. Once it was at high krausen, you could pitch that into your Windsor batch and let it ride a few days.

Either that, or you could rouse the yeast in your Windsor batch and move that fermenter somewhere a few degrees warmer for a few days. I've had some success squeezing out a few extra points that way.

On a side note, did you rehydrate the Windsor? Jamil Z. did some experiments a few years ago and found that pitching dry yeast straight into wort gives a viability of around 50%. Rehydrating in boiled and cooled water supposedly puts the viability around 80%. I use dry a couple of times a year and always rehydrate with a nutrient.

And for what it's worth, I've made this recipe with Nottingham, wlp 007, wlp 002 and wlp 013. Going forward I won't use anything but the 013. It accentuates the dark malts in this beer in a way I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of using some of the 013 yeast in a starter to get them back in consumption mode, so that will probably be my plan going forward if I decide I need it. I've never washed yeast, but I'd like to start at some point (really just need fridge space) so this will be a good opportunity to try my hand at that.

I didn't rehydrate the Windsor. Last time I tried to rehydrate dry yeast the temp was a little high and I killed 'em all off. My own fault for sure, but for me the whole advantage to dry yeast is the total simplicity, so I wanted to see what would happen if I didn't rehydrate. I'll pick a better strain for my next attempt..

Back