Nugget Nectar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, had my first taste and I must say its pretty good. It still needs another week or two to smooth out. The only problem I have is that it fermented out to 8.8% ABV, so its not gona be a session beer, but it leaves a nice citrusy taste in my mouth.

Dudes: I tasted mine and by far it is the best beer I've brewed so far. It tastes very similar to NN, but even better! I'll do a side by side in a few days.

Maryland, but I was just kidding. Enjoy your well brewed batch. Just make sure you give a full side-by-side comparison.

-Mike

reddskinnfan said:
Maryland, but I was just kidding. Enjoy your well brewed batch. Just make sure you give a full side-by-side comparison.

-Mike

I have a cousin that lives in Maryland. We can probably meet when I visit her in the near future and swap some beer. I'm from Mass.

I didn't do the side by side yesterday because I had a couple (more like 5) brews already. LOL

Me likes mucho. I tastes tropical flavors and its very tastey. I gave a bottle to someone at work and they loved it, will be hitting it up a lot this weekend. Appreciate the recipe dude.

Sheldon

I have brewed this twice and it has turned out very well each time. I have never actually had the "real" NN so I have no idea whether it is true to form or not.

I have followed the grain bill for each recipe. I forgot to dry hop in the fermenter with this last batch. I added Falconer's Flight to the Nugget and Simcoe that I previously used in the dry hop, this time in the keg. I pulled the hop bag out after a week or so - only because it had frozen up and was blocking the dip tube from dispensing. Really nice, hoppy beer which is the way that I prefer.

All in all a really good recipe + beer and one that I keep returning to. Job well done.

The Troegs Brewery guys were on The Brewing Network last night, they gave alot of info about the Nugget Nectar recipe. Here's a link

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/764

I was suprised how much Vienna malt they said to use.

here's a quick summary

80% Vienna malt

nugget for bittering
simcoe(mango variety not cat pee type) for middle and end hops
hopback mostly simcoe and a little tomahawk
dryhop with nugget, warrior, and a few more hops

clean yeast with little esters

Bob

My batch turned out pretty tasty, I think it peaked at about 8 weeks in the bottle.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.35 gal
Boil Size: 6.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 9.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 89.8 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) 47.3 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 20.3 %
3.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 20.3 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 10.1 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 1.7 %
0.04 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 0.3 %
0.75 oz Nugget [13.00%] (60 min) 29.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (20 min) 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Palisade [8.00%] (20 min) 7.4 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00%] (20 min) 12.0 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00%] (10 min) 14.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (10 min) 9.4 IBU
1.00 oz Palisade [8.00%] (10 min) 8.9 IBU
1.50 oz Nugget [13.00%] (0 min)
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
4.00 gal Monadnock Spring Water Water
1 Pkgs S05 Yeast-Ale

The hop profile is def a little different from the actual nugget nectar but I was going for a lighter fruitier hop character with the Amarillo. Turned out well I'd say, SWMBO is a fan and she doesn't really like Nugget Nectar.

The Troegs Brewery guys were on The Brewing Network last night, they gave alot of info about the Nugget Nectar recipe. Here's a link

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/764

I was suprised how much Vienna malt they said to use.

here's a quick summary

80% Vienna malt

nugget for bittering
simcoe(mango variety not cat pee type) for middle and end hops
hopback mostly simcoe and a little tomahawk
dryhop with nugget, warrior, and a few more hops

clean yeast with little esters

Bob

Thats great I sent Justin a couple emails seeing if he could get info on this brew,have not heard the podcast yet will try to listen tonight

Cheers
Bellsbrat

So just as promised I finall did a side by side comparison.

Appearance: my bottle was a gusher so it was cloudier and a light brown color compared to the original which is clear and copper.

Smell: NN smells sweet. Mine smells hoppy.

Taste: veerryyy similar, the original tastes more caramelly

Mouthfeel: the original feels oilier, mine is more watery, but in a good way because its more refreshing.

Overall: NN is sweeter and mine is hoppier. In order to taste, smell and feel more like the original we need more caramel flavor, a bit more body and less bitternes.

This is still a great beer. Thanks for the recipe!

So just as promised I finall did a side by side comparison.

Appearance: my bottle was a gusher so it was cloudier and a light brown color compared to the original which is clear and copper.

Smell: NN smells sweet. Mine smells hoppy.

Taste: veerryyy similar, the original tastes more caramelly

Mouthfeel: the original feels oilier, mine is more watery, but in a good way because its more refreshing.

Overall: NN is sweeter and mine is hoppier. In order to taste, smell and feel more like the original we need more caramel flavor, a bit more body and less bitternes.

This is still a great beer. Thanks for the recipe!

How old was the NN you were comparing to?

They also mentioned in the podcast that they dryhop 130 lbs per 100 bbl which is 19 grams per gallon.

I think it was this year's batch and I've had it for about 2 months.

Maybe the differences were my fault. First, I did a PM because at the moment I didn't have the equipment for AG (now I do :D ). Second, I think mine was hoppier because I added the hops on a bag and squeezed it when I pulled it out. Third I think my temps were too high because I used a cheap thermometer. Fourth I should have left it in primary a couple more weeks so it could clarify better. And fifth I think it fermented too hot because there were freakishly high temps and I don't have temp control.

i tried a 6pack a few months ago, i must of got an old pack, mine had little to no hop aroma

This recipe was in the July/Aug. 2008 Zymurgy. The writer said it was provided by the brewer. I have tried it and it is great.
Nugget Nectar
og 1075
ibu 86
srm 11.4
90 min boil
6.5 Pils
7 Munich
5 oz Crystal 120

Mash 152

1 oz Nugget 60
1/2 half oz Simcoe 30
1 oz Warrior 20
1.25 oz Tomahawk 0
1 oz Palisade 0
1 oz Simcoe Dry
1 oz Palisade Dry
Yeast Wyeast 1056

Chris Trogner said this recipe is a clone attempt from a friend that he brewed with in Colorado and now works for Zymurgy and is almost the exact recipe.He also says 80% Vienna with Nugget and Simcoe in the middle and the end. He says they Hopback with Simcoe and little Tomahawk and dry hopped with Nugget, Warrior and more (this may be where the Palisade comes in) @ a rate of 130lb per 100 barrel all the info for the podcast starts at about 1:30 min in if you dont want to listen to it all.

I read through the entire thread and have tweaked the recipe a bit. I will be brewing up the following recipe later this month:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: washed Pacman
Yeast Starter: 2L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.020
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 12.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @63 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @70 degrees
Style: IPA

Mash @ 154 for 60 minutes
Sparge @ 170 for 10 minutes
Boil for 60 minutes.

10lbs Maris Otter 66.67%
2lbs Pilsner 13.33%
1lb Munich 10L 6.67%
1lb Crystal 60L 6.67%
1lb Honey (last 10 min of boil) 6.67%

1oz Nugget 11% (60 min)
1oz Simcoe 12.20% (30 min)
1oz Warrior 17.2% (20 min)
1.25oz Tomahawk 14.7% (flame-out)
1oz Cascade 5.4% (flame-out)
1oz Nugget 11% dryhop for 7 days
1oz Warrior 17.2% dryhop for 7 days

I'll be sure to post back with the results :ban:

just a smiley update on my NN clone, listen up Reddskinnfan, my friend and fellow HBT'er (and his gfriend) had a gifted bottle last nite and left me a voice message on my home phone to the tune of "this beer is like heaven". Even hot a PM this morning from him saying the beer was pretty good. What can I say. I think it came out pretty good, thanks to a great recipe. This is what home brewing is all about, making beer because its fun, I like to drink what I make and sharing with friends and having them provide honest feedback. When the feedback is this positive, well, it makes me want to brew again this weekend :ban:

Cheers

sheeldon said:
just a smiley update on my NN clone, listen up Reddskinnfan, my friend and fellow HBT'er (and his gfriend) had a gifted bottle last nite and left me a voice message on my home phone to the tune of "this beer is like heaven". Even hot a PM this morning from him saying the beer was pretty good. What can I say. I think it came out pretty good, thanks to a great recipe. This is what home brewing is all about, making beer because its fun, I like to drink what I make and sharing with friends and having them provide honest feedback. When the feedback is this positive, well, it makes me want to brew again this weekend :ban:

Cheers

Which of the 4 recipes in this thread did you brew?

Here is what I did for 5.25 gal batch

9.53 lb pilsner
2.25 lb Munich Malt
2.25 lb Vienna Malt
.32 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz Nugget FWH
.5 oz Warrior FWH
1 oz Columbus 15 min
.75 oz Simcoe 10 min
.25 oz Northern Brewer 10 min
.5 lb Wildflower Honey 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Nugget 0 min
.5 ozWarrior (Fermenter)
1 oz Nugget (Fermenter)
1 oz Nugget (Dry hop)
.5 oz Warrior (Dry hop)
2 packaged S-05 dry yeast

Mashed at 150 degrees for 90 minutes
Boiled for 90 minutes
Fermented at around 64-67 degrees for 2 weeks, then dry hopped for 5 days
OG 1.079
FG 1.012
Efficiency was 75%

Beer is pretty tastey!
ABV 8.8% (a bit high)

FYI - They were on the BN a week or two ago and gave some pretty big hints on the recipe. One of the most significant is that their grist is 80% vienna malt.

If that makes it better, look out below. It is pretty darn good with the recipe I posted, can't imagine how it could be better, but always open to suggestions.

So I'll up the Vienna each batch and see what happens. This would be one of my favorite iipas.

FYI - They were on the BN a week or two ago and gave some pretty big hints on the recipe. One of the most significant is that their grist is 80% vienna malt.

I am not looking to hijack the work done here already, but I just started a thread about that issue (and some other issues) here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/trogner-bros-talk-nugget-nectar-bn-257110/

I am trying to get away from the Zymurgy clone because it doesn't jive with the interview or with the company website. If anyone is interested, please check out the recipe I am starting with. I want to get something finalized and brewed fresh for the NN release, and I would really appreciate some input on my fresh take. I talk a bit about my reasoning for the malt bill and my changes to the hop schedule, and with a natural bias, I think the changes make sense.

I saw this listed as "similar" under my thread, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in on the Nugget Nectar fun.

Thanks,
Joe

I used a partial mash version of your third recipe.

6 lb 0 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract
2 lb 6 oz Munich Malt - 10L
2 lb 6 oz Vienna Malt
0 lb 6 oz Light Dry Malt Extract
0 5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY
first wort 90+ mins 1.0 Nugget
first wort 90+ mins 0.5 Warrior
boil 15 mins 1.0 Columbus
boil 10 mins 1.0 Simcoe
boil 5 mins 1.0 Palisades
boil 1 min 1.0 Nugget
dry hop 1ry 7 days 1.0 Nugget
dry hop 1ry 7 days 0.5 Warrior
dry hop 2ry 7 days 1.0 Nugget
dry hop 2ry 7 days 0.5 Warrior

Wyeast 1056

Thanks a lot for the recipe!

I've got this recipe in my primary fermenter right now. Question: what does dry hopping in the primary and secondary do? Could I just add all the hops in the secondary for 7 days?

Well you should never dry hop in the primary. You need to get the beer off the yeast before you dry hop, b/c the yeast will negatively affect the aroma contribution of the dry hops. I would combine both those hop additions into 1 bigger one in the secondary.

I always dry-hop in the primary just before fermentation is complete to avoid oxidation from the hop addition.

Why would yeast/hop mixing affect flavor characteristics of dry-hopping?

Just because you do it and get results doesn't mean that it's the best way - like pitching a vial vs using a starter - both will ferment but one will do it with better results.

From what I've read/listened to the best time to dry hop is towards the end of primary fermentation. At this time (I've heard anywhere from 80-90% of ferm completion or 1 degree plato) you should rack your beer to a secondary and get it off the bulk of the yeast that has flocced out. There will still be enough yeast suspended in the beer to get it to terminal gravity AND eat up the little bit of oxygen you introduce while dry hopping.

By putting the dry hop into primary the yeast will have a stronger affect on the aromas that you get from the dry hop. Some of the hops alpha acids and resins will coat and be adsorbed by the yeast mass at the bottom of your fermentor. This also really deminishes any chance of reusing the yeast cake for further brews.

Trust me, I used to dry hop in primary for my first couple attempts at the technique, and the results were so-so to good. After reading up on it and listening to podcasts, I changed my process and started racking off the yeast before I dry hopped - the amount of difference was very noticeable, and much improved.

Here's a great podcast that discusses all this in depth:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong/Brew-Strong-12-08-08-Dry-Hopping

Gave an extract version a try tonight. Used a combo of many of the recipes on this thread. This is what I came up with:

6 lbs Pilsen LME
3 lbs Amber LME
3 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Munich

1 oz Nugget 60 min
1 oz Warrior 60 min
1 oz Columbus 20 min
1 oz Palisades 15 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Palisade 5 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min
1 oz Warrior Dry Hop
1 oz Nugget Dry Hop

Been lurking here for a while so I dedcided I'd finally post and graciously request and update from anybody about this nectar of the gods. This thread was gainging a lot of momentum but I haven't seen anything in a minute. I'd like to hear from everybody whose got a batch going and in particular Pocono on your extract attempt; I think there were a couple other extracts and I'd like to hear from them too. I'm still amassing knowledge and haven't done any brewing yet hence my interest in the extact versions as this beer were certainly be among my first, for both extract and AG.

I see where Troeggs shed a little more light onto the base for this recipe and I am just as interested in it and will post in that thread as well cause I'd like to make a dead-ringer, but it appears you guys were able to get some brews that were very good in their own right and one or two said you enjoyed them even more (money!). Anyways, I guess this is my introduction, happy brewing to you all!

I have just found out that I won Gold in the first round of the DC home brewers contest (sponsored by Meridian Pint). The ackward thing is that the contest was held back in early August and we were never notified so we missed the opportunity to participate in the second round which I think we would have also won (this was open to public tasting). The app required an email addy, so I don't know how this happened.If my son wasn't persistent in trying to find out the results, we still wouldn't know. We entered 4 very good beers, so every time we talked I kept telling him how I can't believe we didn't get any recognition.

Well, here's to success. We apparently won a $100 CG for the bar/restaurant which we have been told is still in their safe awaiting pick up. Since we were never notified, I won't believe we won until we get the CG

Well here are the results of my extract version. I brewed on 8-6, dry-hopped on 8-13 into a secondary, bottled on 8/20. On 9/2, knowing the beer was premature, I brought a sixer to campfire gathering with only one other real craft drinker and a host of BMCers. The sixpack was gone in half hour and they, even the BMCers, insisted I go get another. By the end of the weekend, a case (half of my batch since there was significant sludge) was gone. I found the beer to be delicious, if not a bit raw and with a bit medicinal bitterness on the tail end.

I decided to age the remaining case so I could see how it would mellow over time. Well....i finished the case last weekend (9-18). I did have a little help but none the less....this was good stuff I just couldn't stop drinking. Me and a fellow crafter kept going back, sip after sip, bottle after bottle, picking up different hops and flavors.

However, i do not know if it was a close clone per se. Definitely in the ballpark of Nugget Nectar, though it reminded me of Hopback Amber as well. Either way I will be brewing this again for sure and recommend giving it a try if your newbie and want to do an extract version.

Back