Nu-Foam Sani Spray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSMikeD

Reaction score
Anyone use this?

It's a no rinse food contact surface sanitizer spray solution that I picked up during recent trip to Restaurant Depot. The jar contains 50 tablets, each to make a 1 quart solution and comes with the spray bottle.

Up to now I have been using hot water with EasyClean without any noticeable (by me) issues.

Nu-Foam's The active ingredient is 50% ALKYL (C14 95%, C12 3%, C16 2%)
DIMETHYL BENZYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDE DIHYDRATE
(QUATERNARY AMMONIUM COMPOUND – MYRISTALKONIUM CHLORIDE)

The direction are (in a nutshell) spray, wait a minute and let air dry.

The company web site actually boast that using it to clean barware leaves no residue and thus will not affect the head on a beer.

Plus it kills MIRSA and HIV so I got that not to worry about in my beer. :)

I used it on my last brew which I kegged over the weekend- fermentation was spot on and it tasted very good. No signs of any issues.

The tablet form is very convenient (I will still use easy clean and my cleaner). The effectiveness of this product decrease with hard water (over 500 ppm CaCO3) which isn't an issue for me. At about $10 for a 50 tablet bottle with the spray bottle, cost is not an issue.

I left the quart spray bottle in the kitchen and I find myself using it to wipe down my counter tops after prepping food - not that I was worried soap and a sponge was ineffective.

PS. I sent an email to the manufacturer (Glissen Chemical) asking about it's shelf life after fixing with water and if they are aware of any issues by home brewers who used the product. I

Looks interesting. Some quick calculations say this costs 20 cents per quart of sanitizer (10 bucks / 50 tablets = 20 cents per tablet).

Star-San in a 32oz container is about $20 and uses 1oz /5 gallons (20 quarts), which gives 640 quarts per bottle. That looks like 3 cents per quart to me. So, definitely a lot cheaper in the long run, but maybe not noticeable depending on how often you brew. A lot of people dump a lot of Star-San if they make it 5 gallons at a time. I measure out by the mL so I can make small batches that are more convenient to save between brews.

Can't speak to the effectiveness, but some rumblings suggest that Star-San doesn't kill wild yeast or maybe some other microbes (acid resistant).

I'm using easy clean to do the heavy lifting so I need only a small amount to spray the surfaces of everything. The small bottle with tablets fits into my space limitations. I love that the bottle fits in my plastic box with all my other plastic bottles and the spray bottle under my kitchen sink.

I messed up my email to the company but I did find the product fact sheet and shelf life isn't an issue.

I figure, based on my use, the bottle will last me 3 years of home brewing.

Back