Now this will take the cake for stupid mistakes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdracera1

Reaction score
I THINK, I'll know for sure in a few minutes, that I shorted myself a gallon of water when I put my wort into primary a week ago. I might be wrong but, it looks a little low and this would explain why my OG was higher than I expected......

So, my question is should I top off the secondary with boiled & cooled water or just leave it concentrated?

:eek:

False alarm, there was 5 gallons..... It just looked low and the LHBS planted the idea in my head that I forgot to top off the primary to 5 gallons when I completed the brew. I should have know I'm way to anal retentive to have missed something like that....

Cheers!

well.... if you ever actually DO something like that for real....

topping it off with more water is perfectly acceptable. I would suggest tasting what you have and decide whether you want to keep it as is and only have 4 gallons of it, or dilute it with water and have 5 gallons.

-walker

Heh, I did the exact opposite this weekend while brewing. I topped my fermentor off to 5 gallons with water then went and pitched the starter which was just under 2 L (about 2 quarts I'd suppose), so now I have 5.5 gallons in my fermentor. I'm not too concerned though, as the starter wasn't straight water (obviously) and was probably about 75-80% of the gravity of the wort when it started anyways. Plus I'm sure I had higher hop utilization than the recipe banked on since it called for a 1.5-2 gallon boil and I did a 3.5 gallon boil to try to get a lighter colored finished product.

Levers101 said:
Heh, I did the exact opposite this weekend while brewing. I topped my fermentor off to 5 gallons with water then went and pitched the starter which was just under 2 L (about 2 quarts I'd suppose), so now I have 5.5 gallons in my fermentor. I'm not too concerned though, as the starter wasn't straight water (obviously) and was probably about 75-80% of the gravity of the wort when it started anyways. Plus I'm sure I had higher hop utilization than the recipe banked on since it called for a 1.5-2 gallon boil and I did a 3.5 gallon boil to try to get a lighter colored finished product.

Usually 5.25-5.5 gallons will yield you 5 gallons of brew. You can expect to loose up to a half-gallon in the transfering process, either from trub saturation or just plain old not being able to get it all with the racking cane.

I always top off at 5.5 expecting that I will have missed some from trub residue and rack off. I am always assured a 5 gallon batch.

I never thought about yeilding less, but might try to get a more concentrated taste. (interesting).

- WW

Back