Nottingham Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually keep washed samples of nottingham from healthy ferments of low IBU and Low Gravity beers available to me at all times. Make a 1 gallon nottingham starter and pitch it into virtually any gravity beer and it will start almost instantly and fully attenuate.

When fermented properly, nottingham and rogue pacman are very, very, very similar in most ways and I consider them interchangeable.

I'm not sure if I used the same lot number, but I know my expiration date was the same for a batch of Centennial Blonde I brewed last Friday. Just one packet re-hydrated, and in it went. I had to use an Ale Pale because my carboy's are in use, but there was airlock activity within 12 hours. It went steady for 3-4 days at 62-65F, and stopped any noticeable activity on Tuesday. I'll be popping the lid this weekend for a gravity check, but I think the batch of Knotty was fine.

When I get home I'll double check the lot number for you.

Yep, same lot number. No problems for a couple batches. /shrug

My "Knotty" is batch lot 1080961099V Exp 12 2011 and it's struggling to get going. It's been 18 hours at 64F and am getting minimal fermentation. I'm brewing a 1.033 SG Mild. I aerated well and re-hydrated the yeast per instructions. My only critique is that I pitched the 90F yeast directly into 78F wort. Maybe that shocked the yeast? I'm guessing it'll pull through and ferment fully but now I'm definitely gun shy to use Nottingham yeast in the future. Prior to this I've used liquid yeast with a starter and I've always gotten vigorous fermentation within hours.

I double-pitched some Nottingham I got as a replacement in the recall into my most recent batch, and sure enough, the flashlight test revealed 2 holes in one and 3 holes in the other package. The yeast did take off reasonably normally, but I fully expect the batch to taste like ass, like the last one did.

I am done with Danstar!

My first use of Nottingham was last Sunday, still no activity in the fermenter on Wednesday. Lot number 1080961099V exp 12.2011. I'm relatively experienced and did everything right and to Danstars rehydration instructions. Anyone else having problems with this lot number?

I pitched the same lot# yesterday at 10am after rehydrating it and still no action. The stuff didn't hydrate like I'm used to either. Usually I rehydrate US-05 at the beginning of the brewing process, by the time I pitch it it has a foamy mass sitting on top. This time, many of the yeast pellets still had the same shape two hours after I mixed it into the water. I also thought it smelled kind of strange. Being that this is the second time I've used Nottingham I figured that this is normal, so I pitched it. The first time I didn't rehydrate it.

I guess my question now is: Is this batch screwed? I have no access to a LHBS! I do have a batch of Hefe I plan on bottling tomorrow, could I scoop some of the yeast and pitch it into the brew? I know that this would completely change the profile but I don't want to dump anything.
Damn, this is my First AG batch too BM's Centennial Blond BIAB.:mad:

I pitched the same lot# yesterday at 10am after rehydrating it and still no action. The stuff didn't hydrate like I'm used to either. Usually I rehydrate US-05 at the beginning of the brewing process, by the time I pitch it it has a foamy mass sitting on top. This time, many of the yeast pellets still had the same shape two hours after I mixed it into the water. I also thought it smelled kind of strange. Being that this is the second time I've used Nottingham I figured that this is normal, so I pitched it. The first time I didn't rehydrate it.

I guess my question now is: Is this batch screwed? I have no access to a LHBS! I do have a batch of Hefe I plan on bottling tomorrow, could I scoop some of the yeast and pitch it into the brew? I know that this would completely change the profile but I don't want to dump anything.
Damn, this is my First AG batch too BM's Centennial Blond BIAB.:mad:

yes. Scoop some of the yeast into the new wort. I'd use Mr. Malty to figure out how much. It happened to me with a batch of notty and the next day I bought some US-05 for it. It turned out fine, luckily.

You need to get something in there soon and you already have a bunch of healthy yeast under your hefe.

My first use of Nottingham was last Sunday, still no activity in the fermenter on Wednesday. Lot number 1080961099V exp 12.2011. I'm relatively experienced and did everything right and to Danstars rehydration instructions. Anyone else having problems with this lot number?

I have the same **** yeast. I Pitched as per instructions and nothing. I ended up pitching some Kolsch yeast I had in another fermenter. Fermentation took off in six hours. They(Danstar) obviously have a huge quality control problem. Safale-05, although more $$ seems to be a better product. Danstar isn't going to do anything until enough people refuse to buy this junk. I would ban them and use Fermentis if you're planning on using dry yeast.

I pitched Nottingham - as I have done in all but a very few batches of the last 100 or so gallons - and have had no activity the last 3 days. I am pitching my last packet this morning, lot 1087117102, exp 06-2011. It is possible this was the same lot for my problem one. I have been pretty happy with S-04 but I do prefer Nottingham which is cleaner at low temps. I'm going to get a few more packets, since I am very used to this yeast, but I suppose I will switch to safale if this happens again.

I pitched Nottingham - as I have done in all but a very few batches of the last 100 or so gallons - and have had no activity the last 3 days. I am pitching my last packet this morning, lot 1087117102, exp 06-2011. It is possible this was the same lot for my problem one. I have been pretty happy with S-04 but I do prefer Nottingham which is cleaner at low temps. I'm going to get a few more packets, since I am very used to this yeast, but I suppose I will switch to safale if this happens again.

Replying to my own post (!) I wonder if this is partially associated with my mash temp. I generally mash between 149-154 f. I just looked at my notes - this is the first batch I have gone higher than 154. I hit 158 (I was shooting for 156.)

?

There seems to be a slow starting trend with Lot number 1080961099V exp 12.2011. Is this a new batch of bad yeast?

I spend enough time, energy, and money trying to control all the other variables that are involved with brewing--I'm not exactly jumping at the chance to roll the dice with Nottingham.

Nottingham was one of my "go-to" yeasts for a few years, but I won't be using it again. Windsor never really impressed me either. Fermentis FTW!

Count me in on those who has apparently been victimized by the "Notty Situation". I won't know for certain until I take a gravity reading today but from all that I have read on the topic/post it sounds just like what I have experienced. I guess that I can take comfort in the fact that I was not imagining things when I saw that there was nothing going on after I pitched a pack of Notty last week.

I hit a Saison brewed with 3724 that was stuck around 1.014 with re-hydrated Notty around 5 days ago. Nothing that day or the next or the next.... No activity. Zip. Nada. Thought it was strange because I have used it before when I needed to dry things out and it was active immediately + I normally just threw it in dry.

I can see the yeast at the bottom of the BB. I have shaken the BB up daily (vigorously) to see if I can get something, anything, going but no luck.

Don't know for certain if what I used was from the suspect lot because I threw the package out (why would I save it?). I will visit the LHBS where I purchased it to check the lot #'s to see if what I purchased was part of the 1080... 12/11 group. I do remember the expire date begin 12/11 so I am fairly certain that I had a bad pack. Montanaandy

Just threw out a batch of american ale-nottingham exp 12-2011-no activity at all left alone 1 week,very sour smell-dumped my 5 gal,$35.00 kit,shoulda stayed with my wyeast!!BTW-lot:1080961099v,exp:12/2011 What now?

Just threw out a batch of american ale-nottingham exp 12-2011-no activity at all left alone 1 week,very sour smell-dumped my 5 gal,$35.00 kit,shoulda stayed with my wyeast!!BTW-lot:1080961099v,exp:12/2011 What now?

I pitched one from that batch on Saturday and luckily it's happily bubbling away. After reading this I'm not sure if I will risk it with the next sachet that I have with that batch number... I guess I will be sure to have a backup anyway.

I am glad the first pitch worked for you,but yes have a backup I didnt and am not close enough to a brewstore for a quick backup.I learned a lesson-always have a backup,or just stick with WL,or wyeast liquids(never had a problem w/those so far)

It's been hit and miss for me with Danstar. I had a Munich that didn't go so well and a couple of the Nottingham bad batch with holes in the sachets. But I've also had success with several wheats where I used Munich and other batches where I used Nottingham. I've only done about 15 total batches, but it's been almost exclusively Danstar yeast. I think I used Muntons Gold a time or 2 and the same for Safale S-04. No problems with either of those.

I've had similar problems with some 12/2011 packets. I've ruled out process as I've been using Notty almost exclusively over the past 2 years. Brewed an 11gal batch of nut brown, pitched 1 re-hydrated pack into each carboy. I had no signs of activity after 24 hrs so i added some more oxygen. Another day went by and still no signs of activity (airlock or krausen) so i re-pitched us-05. Luckily i did end up getting down to my FG, and the beer seems to have turned out well.

I might have over reacted,but my batch smelled sour,maybe shoulda tried something but I can say that I will not personally use nottingham again.

I'm having a similar problem. Brewed two batches Monday, Notty in one and S-05 in the other. The IPA with S-05 is going strong but nothing in the Pale Ale with Notty. It's now been about 50 hours.

Any ideas? I am not near a brew shop so running to get a packet of yeast is not an option. It would be at least 4 days before anything ordered would arrive. I'm not very happy that I am potentially throwing away $25 of ingredients and four hours of work.

I got the yeast from Brewmasters Warehouse and it was refigerated immediately upon reciept. Rehydration instructions were followed but unfortunately I did not keep the empty packet.

This is my first and last attempt at using Nottingham.

If your batch with the Notty is truly stuck, perhaps you could collect some of the O5 that is working well in your other batch and pitch that. I'm guessing it will kick off soon and start fermenting.

If your batch with the Notty is truly stuck, perhaps you could collect some of the O5 that is working well in your other batch and pitch that. I'm guessing it will kick off soon and start fermenting.

I was thinking about that but not quite sure how to do it without messing up the other batch.

I'll wait until tomorrow morning and check gravity. It's in a bucket and there have been no bubbles. I cracked the lid a little bit ago and there is no krausen.

I've been keeping it about 63 F. Should I try to warm it up?

Probably I just need to be patient but I've never seen this behavior with a batch.

I would probably order something online so that at least if you don't come up with anything else, you'll have it coming. My packet that seems to be working came form Brewmasters Warehouse too. I think I have some Notty from a different batch that Lallemand sent me direct as a replacement for an earlier batch. I see that you're in Indiana. I could mail you some from Illinois tomorrow which I would guess would be there in a day or two.

Add me to the list of 12/11 lot 1080961099V victims. I brewed 10 gallons of cream ale saturday, split into two five gallon fermenters with a sachet of Notty in each. Both sachets were from this lot, both were handled identically and kept side by side in identical conditions. One took off as normal in 12 hours, one was still barren two days in. Luckily I had re-upped on "just in case" yeast and threw in a pack of US-05 and eight hours later she was humming along. Has anyone contacted Lallemand about this batch? I'm doing so shortly.

I womder, just exactly how much emperical evidence is needed that Nottingham lot (12/11 lot 1080961099V) product of Austria? has some kind of issue, before someone from Danstar addresses this problem... I like Nottingham yeast but right now I don't trust it. BTW offering to replace a $1.39 yeast package that ruined 6 gallons of beer is not what I am looking for.

I'm having a similar problem. Brewed two batches Monday, Notty in one and S-05 in the other. The IPA with S-05 is going strong but nothing in the Pale Ale with Notty. It's now been about 50 hours.

Any ideas? I am not near a brew shop so running to get a packet of yeast is not an option. It would be at least 4 days before anything ordered would arrive. I'm not very happy that I am potentially throwing away $25 of ingredients and four hours of work.

I got the yeast from Brewmasters Warehouse and it was refigerated immediately upon reciept. Rehydration instructions were followed but unfortunately I did not keep the empty packet.

This is my first and last attempt at using Nottingham.

Hang in there, it should start soon. You'll probably have to ferment it a little longer than normal and bottle condition for 5 weeks or so to get rid of the yeast flavor. Takes a long time for the yeast to fall out.

I would probably order something online so that at least if you don't come up with anything else, you'll have it coming. My packet that seems to be working came form Brewmasters Warehouse too. I think I have some Notty from a different batch that Lallemand sent me direct as a replacement for an earlier batch. I see that you're in Indiana. I could mail you some from Illinois tomorrow which I would guess would be there in a day or two.

Thanks for the offer. Im going to let it go until morning and take a gravity reading. If still dead, ill probably make the hour trip to the only HBS in the area. Was hoping to have this kegged in four weeks.

One option is to use bread yeast - as crazy as it sounds, it's been done in desperate cases (not by me) with reports of adequacy. You can get it at any grocery store.

Took reading this morning and nothing has happened, still at OG. Smelled very yeasty. I can't find time to get to HBS so I am just going to let it go and see what happens.

There is a shallow layer of foam so maybe that means something is about to start.

It appears we have very similar symptoms, here is my text from the other nottingham thread. Kind of a winded post....sorry

Well it seems I have this slow start yeast myself. The longest I have ever had a beer go before the airlock saw pressure was 48 hrs, and they have all at least bubbled some. Well this batch of nottingham (1080961099V exp. 12 2011) hadn't pressurized the airlock yet at 72 hrs, so I got a little worried. I peeled back the lid, and there was a shallow layer of froth on there and a nasty stench. I closed it up and went crap, "do I have some sort of infuction or what". I've used notty plenty, and don't ever remember that odor. Being the optomist that I am, I closed it up to let it ride. Now 5 days into this, it has finally lifted the airlock, but I haven't caught it bubbling. decided to check on the odor again, and it has now gone to "roast beefy".

Has anyone come up with any nasty flavors from this batch? I plan on letting this one go longer in the primary so if there are any off flavor's, hopefully it will clean itself up. BTW I have been fermenting this one at 70, to get the more fruity esters that notty can give on the upper end. That being said, I hope I don't end up over the top due to this being a "week" or "stressed" yeast.

I had to dump my Nut Brown Ale because of the horrible flavor and odor!. I kept it in primary for 3 weeks and cold conditioned 4 weeks. Didn't notice much improvement and gave up.

Five days in now and still no airlock activity but there is a pretty thick foam on top. Still smells awful. Ill let it primary for awhile. Was hoping to turn this batch around fast.

Five days in now and still no airlock activity but there is a pretty thick foam on top. Still smells awful. Ill let it primary for awhile. Was hoping to turn this batch around fast.

Did it ever look like this when you opened it?

I had a Danstar Munich that looked like that after 2 and a half days. It got a pretty sour taste which somewhat faded over time. I was able to choke them down. Give it about 9 months in the bottle and it might be pretty decent.

I used Lot #1087117102 expiration 06-2011 last week on a 1.071 OG IPA and after 4 days it was down to 1.012. Signs of fermentation showed after about 12 hours or so. I re hydrated per the instructions on the package. However will all this talk about consistency issues I may just use saf-05. I think I'll try notty another time or two to give it a fair chance though.

Well I got me 6 more packets! I did get some S-04 and 05 though as a precaution. Next up is a stout and an APA. Keep on brewing and hope for the best I say!

Did it ever look like this when you opened it?

I had a Danstar Munich that looked like that after 2 and a half days. It got a pretty sour taste which somewhat faded over time. I was able to choke them down. Give it about 9 months in the bottle and it might be pretty decent.

Not quite like that. You are more patient than me. If this is awful after five weeks in primary I'll dump. I am not going to tie up a keg and definitely not bottle something that may be drinkable in six months.

Nottingham is hosed. I have 0 confidence in that product after too many bad experiences. It is a shame, it was a top notch product, why they changed (whatever they changed), who knows?

I was proofing a a packet of Notty with lot #1080961099V exp. 12 2011. The smell was not normal and the yeast didn't foam to the top as usual. I was brewing a porter and had some Windsor on hand, so I rehydrated it on top of the Notty. It was foaming within 15 minutes. I hope the Notty will eventually come around and help with attenuation. Has anyone used more than one type of yeast on a batch and found good results?

Back