Nottingham yeast Belma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewGraham

Reaction score
To those who know more than I, please help.

Currently I'm brewing the following.

1 tin black rock apple cider
3 ltr non concentrated all organic juice pasteurised
500g Light Malt Extract (dry)
400g Corn syrup
12.5 g Belma hops.

Hops is prepared as follows.

Boil 1 cup of water, remove from heat and add hops for 2 min whilst stirring. After 2 min strain out hops, I did this twice, allowing the hops to settle in between.

All ingredients are added to flementer as follows.

Add 2-3ltr boiling water to flementer, tip in extract tin contents and stir. Boil 1 ltr water on stove top, dissolve LME and stir well, once completely dissolved add to flementer. Repeat this but with corn syrup rather than LME. Add room temp water to cool mixture whilst stirring and then top if of by adding the juice and hops. Total volume 18 litres. Rehydrate and add yeast once, temp is low 20 deg Celsius at this stage.

Place in temp controlled fridge and flement at 20 deg Celsius. Accuracy is to with in 0.5 deg celcius. There is a heating element in the fridge too.

OG 1048
FG 1014 day 17.

So now being day 17, the cider tastes is apple like though not overly strong, a nice soft apple smell, there is a sour/bitter mid to end taste that finishes slightly dry. This sour/bitter taste has only emerged in the last few days whilst I've been taking gravity readings.

There is a fair bit of sediment so I'm going to rack to a secondary and whilst doing so place a portion of the cider, bout 4 litres, in a second carboy to which I will sweeten with lactose.

This is an experiment for me and first time using Nottingham yeast. I also did a side by side version with a wine yeast and US-05. The US-05 was quiet nice upon bottling.

I wasn't expecting a slightly dry, sour/bitter mid the end taste with Nottingham yeast.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

i'm not sure what the question is - i'm guessing the bitterness comes from the hops, and i'm not sure why you'd put hops in if you didn't want it to be bitter. frankly, it sounds delicious to me.

also, not quite sure what a flementer is, but if it works, go for it.

Back