Nottingham Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm helping my girlfriend brew a cider. We used 5 gallons of Indian Summer apple juice and pitched a pack of Nottingham into it. Two weeks later the FG is at 1.016, which seems very high for this yeast. OG was 1.046. Airlock activity is non existent at this point. What should my course of action be here? Pitch more Nottingham on top? Pitch some champagne yeast? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well if the Notty is stuck then you will want something stronger like a champagne yeast to finish it off. However, it may not actually be done. Airlock activity is not a reliable source for fermentation activity. Give it another week and see if the fg drops a bit more. In my experience it has always taken about a month for a cider to be finished so it may just be slowing down.

Add some yeast nutrient and/or energizer and give it a swish then make sure the temp is over 60 Deg.

You can use a stick on fish tank thermometer.

That's strange. With that OG, Nottingham would definitely ferment it out. I've done much higher ABV with notty.

Did you use any yeast nutrient? What temperature are you fermenting at?

Check to see that your reading is accurate as well

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No yeast nutrient, fermenting in the mid 60s currently. Temperature verified with thermometer in sample. Hydrometer is calibrated and accurate. Maybe I should add some yeast nutrient?

I've never added nutrient after already fermenting but if you,be stalled it might be worth a shot. I have read though that yeast nutrient that isn't consumed by the yeast could add off flavored.

Again, I've never tried this. If you do attempt it, keep us posted on the results.

Latest posts

Back