Nottingham question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pig140

FBC
Reaction score
Couple questions. I brewed an English ale Monday night. I had less boil off than I expected but I still hit my predicted OG, so I don't have as much headspace as usual in my bucket. It was very well oxygenated. Pitched yeast dry around 68-70 degrees. Fermentation fridge set to 64. Fermentation started around 24 hours.

At 48 hours, the Ever Clear in my airlock was almost gone. I topped it off and it's rocking. This morning I checked it and it's slowed but only slightly. The Ever Clear is down a little already. Had to top off again. I've always used Ever Clear and I double checked the fridge temp - 63 degrees today. I have NOT checked the beer temp, but I will on my lunch break.

Is this happening because the low headspace or because the beer may be too hot? If so, should I drop my fridge temp to 60?

I have never used an airlock on beer as I don't think it is necessary especially in a fridge with plastic buckets being the most common FVs here in UK where with a carboy I can see the attraction.

Nottingham will normally be finished within 5 days for a regular gravity beer but even on a higher one I haven't needed longer than 10 days.

I don't see a reason to use alcohol personally. It seems like a waste and extra effort. I just use a bit of star San water that I already have mixed up. It will evaluate more slowly than alcohol as well.

I use 70% abv preserving alcohol (for fruit preservation etc) to fill my locks, when I have a hefty fermention such as Nottingham likes to do I see the level being reduced about 50% in 3-4 days so I guess it's indeed the alcohol evaporating.

On a sidenote, about the temp: I have a Pale Ale on Nottingham right now, my fridge controller is set to 17C (62.6F) beer temp (green line, I have a stainless steel probe in it), as you can see at the height of fermentation intensity the fridge temp (blue line) averages about 15.5C (60F) to keep it there.

vCyrCPd.png

I've used both starsan and Ever Clear in the past but I've never had Ever Clear evaporate that fast. You think my temp is ok? I think next time I'm gonna ferment this recipe at 60.

Then everclear got sucked into the fermentor cause of the temp drop.

Next time get the wort down to the temp you want it at then pitch the yeast and add the air lock.

Also tape that temp probe to the side of the fermentor and insulate it

Then everclear got sucked into the fermentor cause of the temp drop.

Next time get the wort down to the temp you want it at then pitch the yeast and add the air lock.

Also tape that temp probe to the side of the fermentor and insulate it

I don't think that's it because....

1. Getting the wort to 63 in Louisiana October is pretty difficult but I did manage to get it to 69. So we're only talking 6 degrees.

2. Mainly - It's still dropping that fast. Let me be more specific. Pitched the yeast Monday night around 8pm. Checked it Wednesday at 5am (about 30 hours) and noticed the ever clear a little low but clicking steady about once a second. Checked it again around 8pm (48 hours) and found it below the holes in the inside piece. Filled it up and noticed it going about twice a second. This morning at 5am, the ever clear is about a half inch lower than it was and the bubbling has slowed just a little.

Now that fermentation has slowed way down, it stopped using airlock fluid. I did switch to cheap vodka yesterday. Could suck back happen slowly for 3 straight days at a steady temp? I thought suck back was from a sudden temp change?

Back