Nottingham fermentation and Human error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
So i recently pitched some Nottingham into a bucket of cider (OG 1.070), and i was a little concerned when the next day i didn't see any activity in the air lock, and again the next, and the next. it became apparent that i had a sealing issue with my bucket and when i opened the top i did indeed see some small bubbles popping up to the top, but absolutely no krausen anywhere. i checked the gravity when i peeked and it was already at 1.018 after only a few days.

My concerns, without opening the top again and exposing it to the air, how long should i wait to check the FG and rack off? Its coming up to the two week mark in a couple days and Im concerned with the oxygen issue and checking. Could the Nottingham have run its course already? :confused::confused:

Sometimes out little yeastie buddies are pretty stealthy and don't always have a big Krausen to indicate a lot of activity, but they're doing their work. What temp? If in the mid to high 60's, Notty should be doing its magic. Going from 1.070 to 1.018 is a good sign, but should finish a little lower. If you want to be sure, gently swirl your fermenter to rouse the yeast, and keep it at 66° to 70° for a few more days to finish out. You might get a few more points out of it. Ed
:mug:

Sometimes out little yeastie buddies are pretty stealthy and don't always have a big Krausen to indicate a lot of activity, but they're doing their work. What temp? If in the mid to high 60's, Notty should be doing its magic. Going from 1.070 to 1.018 is a good sign, but should finish a little lower. If you want to be sure, gently swirl your fermenter to rouse the yeast, and keep it at 66° to 70° for a few more days to finish out. You might get a few more points out of it. Ed

awesome thank you! I'm in FL so the temp is pretty high. inside the house its around 73-75

awesome thank you! I'm in FL so the temp is pretty high. inside the house its around 73-75

Are you doing this at room temp or did you take steps to keep the fermentation cooler? Notty does well from upper 50's to mid-60's. Letting it get above 68*F (liquid temp which can be higher than room temp) isn't wise since it can kick off some pretty funky off-tastes. Notty is my go-to cider yeast, but always kept cool for the first week before bringing it up to finish a while at 66-68*F. FG is normally in the 1.006 to 1.010 range.

Ciders usually don't exhibit the same fermentation activity compared to beers. One thing I'd suggest next batch is to add some yeast nutrient to the juice.

Are you doing this at room temp or did you take steps to keep the fermentation cooler? Notty does well from upper 50's to mid-60's. Letting it get above 68*F (liquid temp which can be higher than room temp) isn't wise since it can kick off some pretty funky off-tastes. Notty is my go-to cider yeast, but always kept cool for the first week before bringing it up to finish a while at 66-68*F. FG is normally in the 1.006 to 1.010 range.

Ciders usually don't exhibit the same fermentation activity compared to beers. One thing I'd suggest next batch is to add some yeast nutrient to the juice.

aw geez, i kept it at room temp. I dont have any experience with Nottingham so i asked my local shop guys and he said it was pretty forgiving, so should be ok. its smelling fine but now you got me a little worried >__<

aw geez, i kept it at room temp. I dont have any experience with Nottingham so i asked my local shop guys and he said it was pretty forgiving, so should be ok. its smelling fine but now you got me a little worried >__<
Don't worry, relax...breathe! @BigFloyd is correct in that Notty will give you best results in the mid to upper 60°s, but it is a forgiving yeast, and you will likely have a very drinkable cider even if it got into the 70°s. One of the problems with higher ferm temps is that it sometimes produces fusel alcohols (that "hot boozy" taste.) Chalk this up to a learning experience and next time, try to keep it in the 60s. If it ferments too dry, you can always sweeten it up. Lots of forums on HBT how to do this. Ed

I have never used it on cider but I use a lot of Notty for my house ale. I do make a starter and it is often fermented out in 3 days! My fermenting fridge holds 64f.

Making a starter with dry yeast may be counterproductive as the dry yeast has all the nutrient it needs for reproduction and making a starter depletes these. Next batch, just rehydrate the yeast to get the best results.

Back