Nottingham dry ale yeast fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Picked up a package of Nottingham dry ale yeast for a rebrew of my pumpkin ale. Set the temp controller to the middle of the fermentation range printed on the yeast packet. Just for fun I checked on the Nottingham web site this morning and was supprised to see a much higher recommended fermentation range. Are there multiple strains of "nottingham" dry ale yeast with different temp ranges? It hasn't been 24 hrs yet, so I will go home this evening and see if there is any airlock activity.

I did my last brew with Nottingham at 57F and it took off just fine.
Fermented out in 1 week, allowed another week for cleanup before bottling.

I am pretty sure that Nottingham is only one strain. It is good yeast, atleast for me at has been my go to and or backup. I have had best results with it when I rehydrate it.

The package said 41F 70 50F. Doe3s that seem low? No airlock activity after 24 hrs.

you might never see airlock activity if your fermenter was leaking CO2 from under the bucket lid or the edge of the stopper. check the gravity on it after a week or two, that's what tells the tale.

I am another Nottingham fan and have used it for several different styles. I keep the ambient room temp around 65f and it has always taken off within 12 hours. Once it gets going the carboy temp raises up to 10 degrees and it is a pretty intense fermentor. It's usually done in three days.

I brewed an Oktoberfest this weekend and the Wyeast 2124 activator (smack pack) was a dud and didn't do anything after 24 hours so I ended up not pitching it and went with a colder fermentation with Notty. It's bubbling nicely at 64 degrees.

With regard to your non-activity - did you rehydrate? What was the "use by" date on the package?

I dont think nottingham says 41-50 .Its like 57-70 or so.Unless they changed it to a lager yeast. Do you have a lager yeast? Danstar has other yeasts but nottingham is a specific dry ale yeast that ferments well in the low 60's high 50's.Up to the 70's
If you want a faster start with dry yeast ive had consistant 6 hr or less starts hydrating the dried yeast, but you can just pitch it dry, it usually took me 12-18 hrs doing it that way in the mid 60's.
Make shure your not getting high swinging temp flucuations it will stress the yeast or make it dormant.

I usually ferment Nottingham at 65 degrees and ramp up to 67 towards the end of fermentation. Most of the brews I used Nottingham with can be kegged in 10 days.

This is my first brew with my new fermantation chamber. I have the temp controller set at the middle of the range printed on the package, 47f. I am paying more attention to fermentation temp because I have a new toy to play with. Yes I rehydrated, No I didn't make a starter. There is no airlock activity, and last night I pressed on the lid gently and got a little gurgle out of it, so everything is tight. Tonight I will pop the lid and, if there is no krausen or karausen ring, take a SG reading and, if no SG change, perhaps ramp the temp up a bit and give it a gentle stir. I will also take a trip to the LHBW and pick up another packet of the same yeast (threw out the package on brew day) and see what it says. If it's a lager yeast, I have no problem lagering now.

The package said 41F to 50F. Does that seem low? No airlock activity after 24 hrs.

41F to 50F (5C to 10C) is the "store at" temperature on the package. Nottingham ferments at 57F to 70F (14C to 21C).

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it came up in search results and I wanted to ensure people weren't mislead by it.

I just started a batch where I pitched at 16C and put it in my fridge, which was at 15C. About 18 hours later it was getting going and I reduced my fridge to 14C. Now it going very fast with about 6cm of krausen. Can't wait!

Notty at 66F is still plenty clean. Going beyond that and you do risk a fruit-punch in the face with the esters is produces. I've not done a Notty batch at 68+ recently to be able to comment on that temp, but don't let it be too big of a boogeyman.

Notty is the yeast of choice for my basic, quick turnaround session ales.

I've fermented in the upper 60's with it and had no noticeable off flavors.
I have also fermented it at 58 degrees and had a very crisp (almost lagered) flavor and mouthfeel.

It is a truly great yeast in its own regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice 3 year old thread bump.

And notty is best at low 60s. target should be 60F.

Nice 3 year old thread bump.

And notty is best at low 60s. target should be 60F.

Agreed ^^^^

It has also become my "go-to" yeast for cider. The only drawback is that I tend to wait until there is a gap between ales so there will be a window of time to drop the temp down to 60F for a few days.

I am using Notty and Windsor both on a split batch. I have them both temp controlled at 66 F but could do them at two different temps (I have a temp controlled freezer with 2 separate temp controlled boxes on it). Should I change temp or do them at 2 different temps?

Update - Both are bubbling away 12 hrs later but Windsor seems a little more active. I didn't rehydrate but I did use a whole pack on each 3.5 gal.

Back