Nottingham and cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collitchboy

Reaction score
I am attempting my first cyser and am trying to decide if I have a problem.

To start, I added ~1lb of honey to one gallon of Musselmans Cider. Not having done cyser before I added 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme and one campden tablet. 12 hours later I sprinkled dry Nottingham yeast on top. 12 hours after that there was a 'cap' and things looked to be headed in the right direction. 36 hours after inoculation the cap is gone but the SG has only dropped about .004 points (1.076 to 1.072).

Is this normal for Nottingham? I have never used it. Should I pitched another yeast or give it some more time? When I measured the SG and spun the hydrometer in the cylinder there was a ton of foam which I am not used to seeing (usually use EC1118 and make wine) but would seem to indicate things are 'working'.

Thirty six hours isn't a very long time give it another day or two and see if it gets started up.

After posting this I read a few posts where it seemed Notty was slow to ferment or even gets stuck before finishing. I originally posted because on this site, I think, I found a description of the characteristics of Nottingham and it said it often finished within 48 hours so I got kind of concerned :)

I am just so accustomed to EC1118 taking off within 24 hours. Now I just hope it gets done before Thanksgiving because I have to go out of town and I want to try to cold crash it before it goes dry.

According to the ingredients list the only other things in the jug except the cider was ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

Back