Nottingham ale yeast in a summer blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digglr

Reaction score
Hi All!

I ordered some items from an online beer supply place, and they accidently sent along a pack of Nottingham ale yeast, and told me just to keep it. I was planning on making a cheapo blonde ale soon that called for amber DME, light DME, some hops, (Hallertau and cascade), and recommended Safale-04 yeast. My question is, could I use this pack of Nottingham yeast? If so, would it change anything (obviously, I'm a noob)? Just curious... I hate to waste a pack of yeast. Thanks!

Have you brewed this recipe before? If not, you won't notice any difference with a small exception. Nottingham yeast is better if you start the ferment quite cool as if it gets too warm it wants to give you off flavors. Mine is currently fermenting at 60 degrees (beer temp, ambient about 56) and I expect great things from this beer.

My personal preference is S04, but that is entirely subjective. Nottingham is a good, all around ale yeast that a lot of people use, both home and commercially. As long as your temps are good, you won't go wrong with either.

Have you brewed this recipe before? If not, you won't notice any difference with a small exception. Nottingham yeast is better if you start the ferment quite cool as if it gets too warm it wants to give you off flavors. Mine is currently fermenting at 60 degrees (beer temp, ambient about 56) and I expect great things from this beer.

Thanks for the info! No, haven't brewed it before. I'll keep the ferment temps low as you suggested! Thank you!

Nottingham rocks!

I'd rather use it than S-04 in a blonde ale.

Same here. Nottingham is very similar to the Chico strain (001/1056/US-05) but with better flocculation. It's very clean if you ferment it on the cooler side. I agree to try and keep the temps around 60.

Yeah the s-04 might leave it a little sweeter than you want. I think the Notty is great to use, I have some going in my basment right now.

Notty will work just fine in a blonde.

Just keep it cool and it will give you a lovely clean ferment. Start in the upper 50's to 60*F (beer temp) if you can, run it 3-5 days then let it slow rise up to about 66*F to finish.

Where folks run into problems using Nottingham is when they let it get above 68*F when it's actively fermenting. It gets progressively more "blech" the warmer it gets above that temp.

Latest posts

Back