noticed that by compacting my grain bed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david00001

Reaction score
I noticed (completely by accident the first time) that if say, 80% of the way through my wort collection, that if I sparge too slowly and allow my grain bed to compact, say by half, and continue to sparge but on the compacted bed, my efficiency goes from my average 75-80% to about 90%. I did this twice, once by accident and second time to test it. The sparge didn't stick on the factory setting of my mill. I don't know if this an advisable technique (picking up tannins?), but I do like the efficiency. I don't know anyone else that brews, so for all I know this is how its done? Haven't drank either one yet. Hmmf.

Usually sparging too quickly causes that compaction; the bed seizes up and won't let the water through. (stuck sparge usually ensues)

I would imagine if you're sparging very slowly, and have a nice tight grain-bed that still allows flow through without channeling, you'll get closer to optimal extraction. Nothing suprising there really, as slower sparging is one of the prescribed ways to increase efficiency.

This just happened to me on an all pale ale i'm brewing. I tightened up the plates on my corona mill i just got and was testing different milling sizes. I too was at 92% efficiency. Its still in the primary so hopefully no tannins. I just cant get the flow identical on the fly sparging. My first shot with milling my own i hit 72% second time i hit 92%. So milling does make a difference for sure. I am going to have to pick up a fly sparge arm or rig my own. I need a weldless/solderless sparge arm dyi!

This just happened to me on an all pale ale i'm brewing. I tightened up the plates on my corona mill i just got and was testing different milling sizes. I too was at 92% efficiency. Its still in the primary so hopefully no tannins. I just cant get the flow identical on the fly sparging. My first shot with milling my own i hit 72% second time i hit 92%. So milling does make a difference for sure. I am going to have to pick up a fly sparge arm or rig my own. I need a weldless/solderless sparge arm dyi!

Really!? Maybe you should skip the auto sparge arm if we're on to something here.

What are you using to collect the wort? A bazooka screen, DIY manifold or false bottom? I would be very interested in seeing how it works using all 3 extraction methods. I would assume since eff went up that your getting more MPG whichever method your using to collect the wort. Thanks for another idea to add to my system in the future. I'm thinking a float arm controlled sparge arm with adjustable height and feed pressure. Hmmmmmmm, got me thinkin...
Wheelchair Bob

What are you using to collect the wort? A bazooka screen, DIY manifold or false bottom? I would be very interested in seeing how it works using all 3 extraction methods. I would assume since eff went up that your getting more MPG whichever method your using to collect the wort. Thanks for another idea to add to my system in the future. I'm thinking a float arm controlled sparge arm with adjustable height and feed pressure. Hmmmmmmm, got me thinkin...
Wheelchair Bob

Ten-gallon rubbermaid with false bottom here.

Wheelchair Bob

My understanding is that a false bottom is FAR AND AWAY more efficient than a bazooka tube. If you fly sparse anyway. I read an article from some guy who has a degree in fluid dynamics talk about why, but it has to do with possible places for the wort to flow over grains. False bottom being better.

Back