Nothing wrong, just a question (specific gravity)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oteixeira

Reaction score
So I purchased my new brew kit from the great guys at the local brewing store. They were very nice, and helped me. When I told them they didn't have the kit for the beer type I wanted they asked what it was. I told them I wanted a Winter Ale/Winter Warmer type beer, and they were kind enough to through it together right there for me. So my question, how do I know what the gravity should be when I am done cooking it if they gave me instructions for a Pumpkin Ale (because it would be the same process)? Here are the ingredients:

1 oz of Northern Brewer Hop pellets (60 mins)
3.3 lbs American Classic Dark Malt Extract
3.3 lbs American Classic Amber Malt Extract
1 oz Kent goldings hop pellets (15 minutes)
Nottingham Ale Yeast (don't think it matters)
A pack of spices (for the Christmas Spice taste I guess)
Also steeped for 30 minutes 4 oz honey malt, 4 oz chocolate malt, 4 oz Crystal 40L malt

So can someone tell me what this should (about) read on my hydrometer?

Thanks,

Orlando

PS: I got sick so SWMBO let me cook it on the stove top, smells nice in here right now.

You guys rock! I can't believe how fast you got back to me, I still haven't even added the finishing hops!

Orlando

Well,

You are talking to a guy who is under the weather and cooking wort on a Saturday night while SWMBO watches food network...So who has a life now? NOT ME!!

:rolleyes:

Orlando

Wow,

So I was all ready to wait my 72 hours (per the stone cold led pipe locks) and here we are about 16 hours in and there is bubbling action in the air lock! Woo Hoo, the magic of beer. :mug: Thanks for the help on my first batch guys, I can't wait (but I will) to try it.

Orlando

I want to thank you all for all your tips. Today at 7.5 days since pitch I checked with a hydro reading. Came out at 1.012 (recipe called for 1.011). Did a little calculating, since my OG was higher then the recipe called from by a little bit, my ABV is going to be 5.7 (recipe stated 5.2). Now I am going to let it all settle out, and in two weeks the bottling will commence. Again, thanks for making my first brew a success!

Orlando

PS: When I popped the lid on my fermenter it STANK of real strong good beer, and that is a good STANK! :mug:

Back