not sure what to do with these grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillstoked

Reaction score
I have recently acquired an array of grains. Ive looked around for a recipe enough to confuse myself. With the grains listed below what would be some good "experiments" or recipes? I was thinking of making a five gallon mash of the Munich then steeping some of the other grains in one gallon batches. I'm not sure how much grain to use. Ive been brewing all grain on and off for a while but my experience isn't what Id like. I would also like to try some step mashes or decoction mashes. Any advice, comments or snide remakes would be appreciated.

55# Munich malt

1#Saaz hops

1# Chocolate Malt
!# White wheat
.5# Coffee Malt
1# Brown Malt
5# Wheat Malt
1.5# Crystal 120L
1# Crystal 80L
1# Crystal 60L
1.5# Crystal 40L
1# Caramel 60L
1# German Melanoidan
1# Weyermann Smked Malt
2.75# Briess Carapils
1# Briess Black Malt
2# Weyermann Carafa ll
1# Flaked Barley
1# rice Hulls
2oz French Oak Chips
2oz Hungarian Oak Cubes

thanks in advance.

Munich as a base malt is an acquired taste, allot don't like it as the main addition. I do.
I would do a few beers with 80% Munich and 20% some of the others. Kitchen sink brews can be awesome or mediocre but, always drinkable.
Munich and the wheat would go well together I think, the wheat will tone down the munich, the smoked malt might make it interesting.
I can see a "stoutish" brew in there too, the options are endless.

I think I would take the labels off all the specialty malts and do a wildcard brew

I've used Weyermann 9L Munich in my last 4 beers (Oktoberfest, Baltic Porter, IPA and Belgian Pale Ale).

The Baltic Porter used the largest amount (58% or 24 pounds in a 10 gallon batch)

The Oktoberfest was second (55% or 13# 11oz in a 10 gallon batch)

Look at Kaiser's Altbier recipe ... All Munich as base, some carafa II, ... tasty brew. Plus you get to do a decoction mash which is fun if you've not done one before.

Edit to Add:

I think it even calls for Saaz

Edit to add more:

I just looked it up... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49953
The hops called for are Spalt (of which Saaz is listed as a substitute) and note that the CaraMunich can easily be subbed with Crystal 40 (or maybe 1/2 Crystal 40 1/2 melanoidin if you want to capture some of the "biscuit" of CaraMunich)

I enjoy Munich as a base malt....depending on exactly WHICH Munich it is, huge difference among the maltsters. If its Weyerman I (6L) then treat it like a darker more flavorful MO. Munich/Smoked/Wheat/Melanoiden could make for a SUPER tasty smoke beer. Especially with the Saaz.

Munich + crystals = easy malty IPA/IIPA.

Endless possibilities with all that grain! Supplement with a bit of other malts here and there and you probably have a year or twos worth of beer (depending on how often you brew, that would last me about a month lol)

Munich as a base malt is an acquired taste, allot don't like it as the main addition. I do.
I would do a few beers with 80% Munich and 20% some of the others. Kitchen sink brews can be awesome or mediocre but, always drinkable.
Munich and the wheat would go well together I think, the wheat will tone down the munich, the smoked malt might make it interesting.
I can see a "stoutish" brew in there too, the options are endless.

I think I would take the labels off all the specialty malts and do a wildcard brew

I like the Munich/wheat grist. I have made a delicious German steam bier that uses it, and I used Munich yeast. A very nice drinking brew for sure. It's my current favorite in my pipeline.

Back