Not sure what I feel like brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
I'm in the mood to brew something medium-low gravity, low carbonation, bready and smooth. Something you can sit around with a bunch of friends and throw back pint after pint of. Anyone have a good recipe that fits the bill?

How about an English bitter? Here's one that works pretty well for me:

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 74.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 34.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 5.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 1.7 IBUs

Mash it really hot (about 158 F) and ferment with S-04.

How about an English bitter?

That's the first thing I though of, too. Bitters meet all your criteria, OP. A Maris Otter base with a little medium-dark crystal, amber malt, sugar, and some good English hops are all you need. Pick your favorite English yeast and you'll have a supremely drinkable beer in only a couple weeks.

What about the often over look dry stout? It has that great pint after pint quafability. And out of your criteria the only one it doesn't meet is "bready".

I have brewed the Jamil's Dry Stout and can attest to its easy drinking properties among friends and good looking strangers.

What about the often over look dry stout? It has that great pint after pint quafability. And out of your criteria the only one it doesn't meet is "bready".

I have brewed the Jamil's Dry Stout and can attest to its easy drinking properties among friends and good looking strangers.

I do like Dry Stouts, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm thinking pale and bready instead of dark and roasty.

Well, I just found pretty much exactly what I was looking for... but unintentionally.

I brewed a Dunkelweizen a couple weeks ago and kegged it earlier this week. It still has another 1-2 weeks to fully carbonate but I wanted to give it a taste. This is EXACTLY the beer I was aiming for when I started this thread. The Dunkelweizen is probably around 1.5 volumes right now. So less than half of what a traditional wheat beer but it's spot on for what I was looking for earlier in the year. I'm still going to let it carb up to 3 volumes but will enjoy the ride up there.

Recipe for half batch:
3.4lb German Wheat
2.4lb German Munich
4oz German Carahell
2oz Midnight Wheat

.5oz Cascade @ FWH (Yes, I went with Cascade for this traditional German beer and I'm definitely doing it again.)
.25oz Cascade @ 15M

Wyeast 3068 @ 67F

Back