Not sure what I did....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat1268

Reaction score
So I brewed an IPA 10 days ago . OG was 1.040 . Little low for an IPA but was hoping it would be ok . Did an fg . 1.020 also pretty low for an IPA . Added gallon of water at the end of my brew as it was low . Did this throw off my brew?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1.020 FG is pretty high for any beer. I would guess not enough yeast was pitched to get it down to a range of 1.010 to 1.012.

A lot if unknowns here...

All grain or extract?

When did you add the gallon of water? After the 1.040 reading or before?

What yeast did you use?

If you post your recipe and the exact procedure you followed you'll be able to get a lot more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't understand why you added one more gallon of water? This will drop even more the ABV to like 2%

If you added the water prior to taking the gravity reading there is a good chance your hydro sample was more diluted and your OG is highter than 1.040. If it was extract Its almost guaranteed that that is what happened as you really cant miss OG on an extract unless you didn't add it or something.

If you took the hydro sample and then added the top off water your OG will be lower than 1.040.

Post some more details.

Latest posts

Back