Not sure if this is an issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMH

Reaction score
So started my first batch of traditional, which after secondary fermentation will be split into 5 different 1 gallon batches for flavoring. Since last thursday when I started the primary fermentation, it has been bubbling out of the airlock quite nicely. I just went and looked at it, and the bubbling is not as aggressive (same period of time between the release of the bubbles as before though), and for some reason there seems to be a collection or buildup of bubbles within the interior part of the airlock, I believe this is the cause as to why the bubbling is not as aggresive as before. Is this collection of bubbles normal? Should I remove the airlock and clean it out?

Cool just making sure cause it is definately a good collection of thicker bubbles (not sure how else to describe) inside the airlock. Didn't know if it would hurt the process or not, or if this was part of the fermentation "slowing" down?

You might want to give it a stir to degas the mead and take the opportunity to clean the air lock at the same time.

My 2 & 4 year old think I'm a magician when I run a stirrer around a fermenting bucket and it suddenly foams up like it's a mug of root beer.

I will have to try that then, does degasing it help any with speeding up the fermentation, or just keeping it steady.

So I went ahead and degased it, and cleaned out the airlock, not only is the airlock show very slow signs of fermentation, but its even less than before but quite a bit, it has only been in primary fermentation since last wed. or thurs. Could it be about done and ready to rack already?

So I went ahead and degased it, and cleaned out the airlock, not only is the airlock show very slow signs of fermentation, but its even less than before but quite a bit, it has only been in primary fermentation since last wed. or thurs. Could it be about done and ready to rack already?

The only way to know its done is if the SG doesn't change over the course of a few days to a week. For wine, and since mead is like wine, I check SG for at least a couple weeks. It can ferment real slow towards the end.

did you add yeast nutrients in steps? yeasts slow down in mead as honey has like no nutirent value at all so with out the nutes it can take awhile and could stress the the yeasties
everything i have said if from reading not experiance so hope its correct and helps

I added the nutrients at the start but did not step them, should I add another dose? Would it hurt?

Also, when I degased it, there was no visible signs of sediment, is that normal after 7 days of primary fermentation

I think I figured out why it ran out of gas so soon, I apparently (according to notes) had planned on doing the nutrients and energizer in steps so I only did enough for 2 gallons (batch is 5 gallons). So I forgot. So I just degased and put in the approriate amount of nutrient required (per label) for 5 gallons, we shall see what happens now I guess. I believe that should solve the sudden lack of fermentation, I believe basically the yeast was starving so to speak?

Yea its still slower than it previously was, went from bubbling every 3 or so seconds to around 10 seconds or so now, but the bubbles are bubbling as strong as they were before ( not sure if that makes sense or not, but it was at the point were the bubbles barely were able to be released)

Probably a little, but it seems to be doing just fine now, just wanted to make sure I didnt screw something up

Moniter your fermentation temps closely. Your yeast is fragile in a high sugar high CO2 and high alcohol product. You may want to degas and add nutrient if it is in the first 5 days of primary. If your yeast burned out due to temps above 72 then a starter may need to.be .introduced. I suggest introducing oxygen only as necessary, which while some brewers would swear off it is actually beneficial to keeping.yeast healthy. Give it a few good shakes with the airlock off or transfer to secondary in open air. Or if you are like some brewers and swear off oxygen then my last.bit .of advice is to.just LEAVE IT ALONE. Checking gravity will put you in the right path. I suggest reading Chris White's "yeast" if you are unsure about your yeast health. It coverage everything including the "oxygen myths".

Temp in the room I have the batch in stays consitantly cool, I believe what the issue was that I ment to do the original nutrient in steps, i.e. 1/3 one first day, 1/3 second or third day, etc. But I got busy and forgot, so it only recieved the initial supply of 1/3 nutrient, since adding the remainder last night and degasing, it has started fermenting again pretty nicely, and only slowed down slightly compared to original fermentation

Back