not sure if this goes here/SSR question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninner73

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered, I built a RIMS tube (RIMS for Dummies) to only maintain mash temp. I have alot of eletrical knowledge (could wire a whole house), but guess what not so much about Heatsinks and SSR's. So here goes, hope I don't sound too stupid:
I'm controling a 1500 watt 120v heating element (should be 12-13 amps tops) with a PID, 40 amp SSR mounted inside a 12x12x8 plastic encloure (picute posted in my gallery). Now inside the box I cut 2 aluminum 1 square tubes and mounted them inside, then mounted the SSR right to the sqaure tubing. Is this going to be an issue?

I did not buy a heatsink because I had two "eletrical proffessionals, one of which is an eletrical engineer" look at the electrical drawlings and advise me that a heatsink would not be needed because the SSR is overkill and would not heatup. All wiring is right size, everything in the box is securly fastened, I have test run the unit with the aid of a eletric heater (5-10amps) and the SSR never got hot.

Am I going to be ok without the heatsink, ie do nothing and run a full on test run?

Should I atleast add a fan maybe?

Install a heatsink?

any other sugestions?

Thanks BIll

My car is well made and if nothing goes wrong, I'll be totally safe. Because of this, I only wear a seatbelt if I know I am going to get into a wreck.

If it were me, I would definitely add a heatsink. That's going to be just as much effort (or less) as putting in a fan anyway.

I'm controling a 1500 watt 120v heating element (should be 12-13 amps tops) with a PID, 40 amp SSR mounted inside a 12x12x8 plastic encloure (picute posted in my gallery). Now inside the box I cut 2 aluminum 1 square tubes and mounted them inside, then mounted the SSR right to the sqaure tubing. Is this going to be an issue?

The tubes may very well provide a sufficient heat sink. Only way to know is to do a test run. As long as the SSR temp stays below 70C, you're fine. If not, add a proper heat sink.

Back