Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so crazy to me.

I've been biting my tongue watching this Josh Hamilton thing. As a Ranger fan, I am pissed. As a baseball fan, I'm disgusted. As an Angel hater, I think it's friggin' hysterical. So the Angels hate him so much, they are willing to pay $68M just to make him go away. And the Rangers are probably going to lose $12M-1$5M on him, but that's chump change at $3M-$5M/year.

As a huge angels fan, I'm not happy with the way it was handled but I'm glad to see him go. He has been a huge disappointment. Is it worth $68 million for him to play on another team? We'll see. Is he gonna come back and bite us in the ass? The angels players to Texas History says more than likely.

Anyone interested in taking over a team in the HBT fantasy baseball league? It's a keeper league that we've had going for five years now. We have one deadbeat owner that we need to replace.

Send me a PM with your email, team name and your name, and we'll make it work.

Thanks guys.

Not to dissuade anyone from joining but I used to be in that league but I quit because no one wanted to execute a fair trade. I love making transactions but folks were waaaaay to selfish to make it worthwhile. Hopefully this has changed.

My team had Miggy and David Price. I was very competitive, but had a rough run of injuries and couldn't get anyone to trade even when it was lopsided in their advantage. Weird. They must have thought I knew something they didn't.

Well, to counter that argument, and not to be a dick, but i think i got your team, since it's a keeper league and i have had Miggy since day one and traded Price my first year. I love it. I have probably been less prone to trades than others and feel that they have been very fair and receptive. Thats just me. But i've had a good time in the 2.5 yrs i've been here. So if you're interested, hit up Johnny.

King Felix sitting with a frigid 1.91 ERA (2nd AL). 71 K's (3rd AL). Opponents hitting .195 (2nd AL) and a 0.89 WHIP (1st AL). Silly

Most shutouts, last 10 seasons
Cliff Lee/Roy Halladay: 12
Hernandez: 11

Watching baseball is like watching paint dry......The Red Sox really suck this year anyway. They should have a no rules league where the hitters juice and the pitchers can doctor the ball......then they might have something....like in the 80's 90's.

Watching baseball is like watching paint dry......The Red Sox really suck this year anyway. They should have a no rules league where the hitters juice and the pitchers can doctor the ball......then they might have something....like in the 80's 90's.

Watching a full baseball game really is a trying experience for me. I am a Mariners fan though.

They need to shorten the season so that the games mean more. Players will be healthier too and quality will increase. Baseball purest will never allow such a thing and the sport will continue to devolve.

Watching a full baseball game really is a trying experience for me. I am a Mariners fan though.

They need to shorten the season so that the games mean more. Players will be healthier too and quality will increase. Baseball purest will never allow such a thing and the sport will continue to devolve.

Well if they made the strike zone taller like it used to be (back to the letters rather than belt) things would move faster. Games are already about 15 minutes faster on average due to the not stepping out of the box ( and adjusting batting gloves 80) rule.

I end up flipping the channel cause the nats piss me off...Desmond could be a 300 hitter if he stop trying to crush the ball and learn how to go with it opposite field

Well if they made the strike zone taller like it used to be (back to the letters rather than belt) things would move faster. Games are already about 15 minutes faster on average due to the not stepping out of the box ( and adjusting batting gloves 80) rule.

I end up flipping the channel cause the nats piss me off...Desmond could be a 300 hitter if he stop trying to crush the ball and learn how to go with it opposite field

I agree. I STILL find it hard to see the strike zone these days.

So it's like ankles to belt now?

Every umpire is different but the height of the zone seems to be from right below the knees to the belt, which is very short. The pitch trackers make it seem much taller than I think they are in reality

According to the rules: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/strike_zone.jsp

1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.

1988 - "The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

I don't know if ANY umpire uses that upper range accurately now a days.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this in an earlier post, but DAMN, JOEY GALLO!!!! What a debut. I've been watching this kid for 2.5 years in AA and knew he was special. I still don't like the fact that he was called up, for what is probably a very short stint, but what a statement and argument for keeping him here. Now let's hope he can continue this and not strike out in his next 50 AB.

Well crap. I just started a new job and will be spending a lot of time in Houston. While i am excited to see a couple of games at Minute Maid Park (cool ballpark btw), i can't watch the Rangers down here because FSSW only plays Astros!

CHJl2bOW4AAZViH.jpg:large

Big baseball fan here! Played D1 college ball, coach highschool now, and stll play in a mens league. Oh and I'm a Braves fan!

Well, poopies.

Tigers gave up a Walk-off Grand Slam to end the game last night.

They've been competing again lately and I was hoping they could pull it out late in the game.

Well, poopies.

They've been competing again lately and I was hoping they could pull it out late in the game.

Well, poopies.

Well, poopies.

Double header? :D

With the long history and ungodly amount amount of games, teams and players in the game it pretty rare to see a run like this:
Zack Greinke faces the Mets tomorrow. Greinke has thrown 43 2/3 consecutive scoreless IP, longest streak since Orel Hershiser (59) in 1988.

#hesonaheater

I don't normally follow this thread, because baseball is down on my priority list, but I have noticed something the league is working to implement and I'm concerned.

Namely, I'm talking about Expanded Netting.

I came across an article from our local minor league team describing their implementation of Expanded Netting this season. After seeing a few bad accidents last season, this really started to get serious consideration. I haven't heard a Major League team doing anything yet, so I suspect this is a trial run to see how it affects the fan's enjoyment of the game before being implemented in MLB.

Here is the link to the Whitecaps article: Whitecaps Extend Safety Netting

IMO I think safety is a good thing, but having sat behind some netting, I'm not sure it's a great thing down the lines. If you are looking straight through it, it's fairly invisible. If looking down alongside of it, it can REALLY block the view. Generally seats are arranged to minimize the obstruction, but if the netting is extended down the lines, I'm afraid it's going to impact the spectator's view of the home plate area in one direction, and plays at 1st base in the other. Or, Home and 3rd on the other line.

I'm wondering if the increase in accidents isn't being caused by the massive increase in fans' use of mobile phones during play. I couldn't count the number of people using their phones to text or post to social media instead of watching the game the last time I went to a Whitecaps game!

I remember hearing talk about this during the world series. My first thought was that people were too busy staring at their phones instead of watching the game. I've seen it at a few games I've been to, and just can't understand paying for a ticket and not even watching the game.

It's always someone not paying attention who takes one to the dome. Just watch the game and you'll be fine.

Not always true. My family are avid angels fans and we had a scary moment a few years ago. My younger sister, younger than 12 at the time, had just gone to the bathroom when a broken bat flew into the stands and hit her seat in between my grandma and I. Neither of us take our eyes off of the game and we would have been hit if it was a foot either way. My little sister would more than likely not have been able to do anything about it. I also see lots of little kids get hit. It's much harder to tell an excited 8 year old there with his friend to pay attention the entire time.

Not always true. My family are avid angels fans and we had a scary moment a few years ago. My younger sister, younger than 12 at the time, had just gone to the bathroom when a broken bat flew into the stands and hit her seat in between my grandma and I. Neither of us take our eyes off of the game and we would have been hit if it was a foot either way. My little sister would more than likely not have been able to do anything about it. I also see lots of little kids get hit. It's much harder to tell an excited 8 year old there with his friend to pay attention the entire time.

Maybe her older brother would have protected her? Cover your dome and a flying bat at most breaks your arm...but most likely just bruises. Not sure I understand why you couldn't move out of the way?

Maybe her older brother would have protected her? Cover your dome and a flying bat at most breaks your arm...but most likely just bruises. Not sure I understand why you couldn't move out of the way?

Or a flying bat at most skewers you somewhere important.

I am not sure we need to encase the fans in Plexiglas, but there should be a "reasonable" amount of protection. Broken bats the go into the stands are pretty rare, but high speed baseballs happen all the time.

Bahahahahhahahahhaha you must be fun at parties.

I understand not everyone can react like I can (I would catch the bat with my pecs then make out with the hottest chick in the section). But, I don't buy that a person is completely helpless to a bat or ball coming at them.

I understand not everyone can react like I can (I would catch the bat with my pecs then make out with the hottest chick in the section). But, I don't buy that a person is completely helpless to a bat or ball coming at them.

I completely agree. Definitely not totally helpless.

@passedpawn I think Maddon will be the one to turn this franchise around. I was excited to hear about his hiring. Lester will come to, I actually believe that. It's only one game and we'll see what happens on Tuesday. It really could be their year, but I truly think Maddon needs a season and then we'll see huge things.

Whatever happens, if the Cubs get even remotely close and we see them playing in October, I think the city would lose their ****. :D

Are you watching :)

I am, fwiw. Kinda hoping the Cubbies break their curse because they were so cool when the Red Sox broke theirs.

btw, how the hell does the second base ump miss that dropped pivot attempt when it's right in front of his face?
I'd fire his @ss for gross incompetence, but, demonstrably, competence isn't actually a requirement for umps and refs...

Cheers! (Hmm...Must've been saving that up for awhile :eek:)

I am, fwiw. Kinda hoping the Cubbies break their curse because they were so cool when the Red Sox broke theirs.

btw, how the hell does the second base ump miss that dropped pivot attempt when it's right in front of his face?
I'd fire his @ss for gross incompetence, but, demonstrably, competence isn't actually a requirement for umps and refs...

Cheers! (Hmm...Must've been saving that up for awhile :eek:)

easy call when you get to watch it in super slomo from your recliner.

Puhleaze. A bare-handed miss right in his face. No slow-mo required.
There's no way he should have missed it...

Cheers!

Yea, it was a total drop. Didn't even bobble. I think the ump just called it too soon, then stuck by his bad call.

I think the umps do an admirable job though.

Baez had to make a bare-hander to get the dp.

Back