Not settled after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magbwa

Reaction score
I read these boards for months before I started my first brew so I have read plenty of posts about just letting things sit. It was for that reason that I had every intention of letting my beer sit in primary for a month before bottling. I took a peek in yesterday, 2 weeks post brewing and noticed that all the hops are still in a solid layer on top of the bucket. I used hop pellets and didn't strain before it went into the bucket. I'm still getting some bubbles from the air lock (which I thought was strange in and of itself after 2 weeks) so I'm wondering if the hops are still afloat because the yeast just isn't done yet. I'm not going to try skimming anything off the top because I don't want to aerate or infect anything but is it possible that I will have to skim the primary at some point or if I just leave it will everything settle out?

Thanks,
Jason

Everything will settle out in time. Consider this, the first week to 10 days the yeast was still busy moving everything around in your fermenter. This means that it's only been a week or so since things started to settle down. A week isn't really that long for hops to settle to the bottom. Also, you may have had some temperature fluctuation that caused more movement in there.

If you still have some floaties and want to move to secondary, just rack carefully leaving the bottom trub and the floaties. I would just leave it for a couple more weeks but that's me. You could also crash cool it if you are impatient to try your beer.

Even if it doesn't settle to your liking, you can rack from beneath the layer of hops. When I rack to my bottling bucket, I sanitize a nylon mesh bag and line my bucket with that. After I'm done racking, I lift the bag out of the bucket and all the hops(and other crap) come with it. It works great.

Be sure to keep the end of the hose under the beer, just like you normally would, to prevent oxidation.

I also use a large sanatized nylon mesh bag, line my bottling bucket with it,(make sure your not flowing your beer throug it, it should be like lining a trash bag in your garbage pale...) then transfer your beer and after its done pull up and out slowly the nylon bag to sorta strain your loose matter out of your beer, works for me as well.......

but it sounds as if your brew is just getting to the settling stage, let it sit a while longer it will settle...........:D

Back