Not much of a hot break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
I dumped in my LME, and was watching my brew pot like a hawk so as to avoid a boil-over. I got a good rolling boil, foam on the sides but it didn't rise up as I've had in the past. Didn't remove from stove top just let it boil, although I did stir a couple times. Is it really critical to have the "foam rise" for hot break? Or did I have one and not even know it?

Hot break happens whether you like it or not. Its all about the temp. Sometimes it just does not want to boil over. Don't worry, have a home brew!

Actually getting Hot break in extract brews is not a big deal, in fact depending on the extract you may never really have one. With making extract, the hot break usually happens at the maltser when the extract is actually made.

We see in when all grain because we're making our own extract and it only gets boiled once.

Don't worry, like Josh said, if you have any break or not when using extract.

I've only ever done extract kits and sometimes I get a ferocious hot break and sometimes it is not even noticeable. All the beers turn out great.

Back