Not good not good at all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to pick your battles in life. Assuming the person is your friend and you have nothing to gain by belitting them/their brew (which many brewers consider to be the same), just pick out something very noticeable about the beer and focus on that.

"Wow, I'm really getting a malty character from this!"

"You can sure taste the hops!"

Or take a sip and just ask a question.

"What was your mash schedule?"

"What was the timing of your hop additions?"

There is generally nothing to be gained by insulting others' homebrew, especially your friends', and a lot to be gained by being gracious. If a person asks you directly what you think of it, follow the advice above and pick out something you like or at least that is noticeable about it. If they press you just say "I'm no beer judge."

While this might not be conventional wisdom, I would have him try a clone recipe. Why? Because then you can do an actual side by side with the real thing to see how well the process worked. Especially if it is something fairly straightforward, like a APA.

For instance, how about this Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe? I'm new to brewing (All Grain) after a very long hiatus, and I've been doing this on a variety of beers so that I can see how well my process is coming along. (While still not perfect, each batch seems to be improving and I now have people coming back to me asking if I can give them more bottles.)

Back