Not carbonated RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
Its not what you expect from the title, i dont have a problem with bottle carbonation after a week in the bottle, no no.
I just transferred my 11% abv ris to tertiary carboy and of course i had to sample a little bit, this beer has relatively low FG at 1.016 and taste great but when i was sipping it i found a lot of characteristic of red wine/port wine (and i mean a lot, i think uncarbonated in blind tasting would be difficult do say if its beer or wine) so it got me thinking that maybe in few months i should bottle some without any priming sugar.
Is this a stupid idea?, is there adverse effect of no carbonation in beer? please advice, i dont want to waste great beer

Hmm, flat beer does not sound good to me, but if you like the way it tasted without carbonation, then go for it. It will not harm the beer at all. it is possible, though, that the beer will carbonate anyway if you let it bottle condition long enough. I have never experienced this phenomenon, but I have heard of beer carbing in bottles even when the priming sugar was left out. (but, then again, I have never bottled without priming sugar!).

I say bottle a few up with no sugar, put them away for 6 weeks or so, and see what you end up with.

If fermentation is complete, the only reason it would carbonate in the bottle "anyway" would be because of an infection. Carbonation is a relationship to fermentable sugars present in the bottle, and the "output" of the yeast eating said fermentables being trapped in fluid. If there's nothing fermentable in the botle (which there shouldn't be if fermentation is complete) then it's IMPOSSIBLE for the beer to carbonate, unless something breaks down unfermentable sugars, into fermentable ones, and that only happens if there's an INFECTION in the bottle.

If fermentation is complete, and you bottle it flat (or as winemakers call it, "still") then it will be still forever. Wine doesn't turn into champagne by being left alone, nor will beer.

The only problem is, you don't know whether or not you'd like it even better carbed! You could do some test bottlings at different carbonation levels.

If you keep it still, you could even fortify it if you want it to be really port-like.

Back