Not Buying BMC Ever Again... Am I alone in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't eat chile's, Applebee's or TGI Friday's... I don't think that's pompous either, they charge way too much for crappy food at those places... Throw burger king and Wendy's in that category too

I like Wendy's 'normal' chicken sandwich and their fries can be good (if the people there are decent). I usually just do the drive-thu when I'm in a rush to get something that will stay down. When you're hungry enough... :eek: :D

Of course I'll also go to Taco Hell from time to time. When I've really got a craving for the food, and don't have the ability to make it myself. :D Such as when out and about, or running out for a bite. Not to say everything either place sells is worth a damn, but some of the things are decent enough to eat, and won't make you regret it... Taco Hell might make others regret that I went there (a few hours later). :D I see that as a 'bonus present'. :D

I like Wendy's 'normal' chicken sandwich and their fries can be good (if the people there are decent). I usually just do the drive-thu when I'm in a rush to get something that will stay down. When you're hungry enough... :eek: :D

Of course I'll also go to Taco Hell from time to time. When I've really got a craving for the food, and don't have the ability to make it myself. :D Such as when out and about, or running out for a bite. Not to say everything either place sells is worth a damn, but some of the things are decent enough to eat, and won't make you regret it... Taco Hell might make others regret that I went there (a few hours later). :D I see that as a 'bonus present'. :D

HAHA... I have a love/hate relationship with taco hell. Mostly bc that was my first job...

You need to give big breweries the credit they deserve. Budweiser (not the light crap) is a great beer.

For example I hosted a blind beer tasting at my house a few years ago & most of the crowd was the "I hate commercial beer" home-brewer type. I served 12 beers from brown bagged commercial bottles. The bottle selection contained quite a few high end imports as well as some well known American brands and the range was lighter ale's to lager beers. It was a typical tasting session where I asked everyone to comment on the beers and at the end I asked for a vote. And the favorite was the Budweiser!!!

HAHA... I have a love/hate relationship with taco hell. Mostly bc that was my first job...

I remember going there during college when we needed something halfway decent to eat on the cheap. :D Of course, I'd often get the burrito supreme (no red sauce) too... :eek: :D mmmmmmmm love refried beans. There was a place in FL (Indianapolis beach I think, just south of Satellite Beach) that was a really great TexMex restaurant. Unfortunately it changed owners at one point and the food wasn't the same. I've been looking for a place that compares ever since. Have yet to find one though. :(

I like Wendy's 'normal' chicken sandwich and their fries can be good (if the people there are decent).

Wendy's fries are probably the worst in fast food (which isn't saying a whole hell of a lot)

Ever since they started the sea salt natural cut fries they just taste gross

You need to give big breweries the credit they deserve. Budweiser (not the light crap) is a great beer.

For example I hosted a blind beer tasting at my house a few years ago & most of the crowd was the "I hate commercial beer" home-brewer type. I served 12 beers from brown bagged commercial bottles. The bottle selection contained quite a few high end imports as well as some well known American brands and the range was lighter ale's to lager beers. It was a typical tasting session where I asked everyone to comment on the beers and at the end I asked for a vote. And the favorite was the Budweiser!!!

I would take that challenge any day of the week. I may be atypical, but I have never liked Budweiser. Last time I had it was at a bar in the country. When I asked what beers they had. They said "both"

Busch lite is my go to beer pong / mass consumption beer. Everything has it's purpose and role. If a friend offers me a BMC product I am most certainly NOT going to insult them by not accepting it. Honestly the "craft" attitude that I see with a lot of people is a big turn off for me. I don't like it when the hipsters do it so I try not too - although I do personally try to avoid purchasing BMC products. Although...if you haven't tried the Lime-a-Rita...man you're really missing out.

we're Taco John's people right down to the bone. our 5 y/o say's that TB uses paper & poop to make their tacos. bwahahahaha!!!

Wendy's fries are probably the worst in fast food (which isn't saying a whole hell of a lot)

Ever since they started the sea salt natural cut fries they just taste gross

I think it has a lot to due with who's cooking them. Done right, they're passable. Not done right, even the birds won't eat them. :eek: I do wish they'd bring back the old fries though. Cook them to light crunch and serve them hot (lightly salted). I've had some that were over-salted and others that had none at all. So, it goes back to the people on the other side of the counter/wall doing a proper job (as with most places that serve food).

Luckily, I don't eat from fast food places all that often. :D

I doubt I stop buying them they are just too good in the summer, an ice cold Miller Lite after a day in the heat is maybe the best beer ever. Make sure you understand I am not saying they are the best beer but the first couple after a hot day just cures what ails you.:ban:

You think Burger King and Wendy's charges way too much? :fro:

I'd actually agree, there. Sure there's usually a bargain menu but most of the regular stuff is about the same price as a sandwich with a lot of snobby ingredients.

To get on topic, homebrewing has certainly taught me more about tasting beer. I don't drink a lot so when I bought beer at the store I knew which specific beers I liked but I didn't drink enough to tell the difference between a blond and a hefe (since by the time I bought another pack of beer I forgot the details of the previous one, just a "like/dislike" score).

And now that I've educated my palate a little more, yeah, a lot of major brand beers aren't as satisfying as I used to find them. I never could stand BMC, those brands were the reason I took so long to like beer (Guiness was the first time I liked a beer and for a while I thought I just liked dark beers but Guiness only satisfies me half the time, same for Stella Artois which was the first pale beer I liked).

Busch lite is my go to beer pong / mass consumption beer. Everything has it's purpose and role. If a friend offers me a BMC product I am most certainly NOT going to insult them by not accepting it. Honestly the "craft" attitude that I see with a lot of people is a big turn off for me. I don't like it when the hipsters do it so I try not too - although I do personally try to avoid purchasing BMC products. Although...if you haven't tried the Lime-a-Rita...man you're really missing out.

Of course I would not refuse a friendly gesture. Most of my friends don't share my passion for beer, but do enjoy trying my brew and talking to me about it. I'm not above drinking it at all, just feel like its a waste to spend money on it.

I doubt I stop buying them they are just too good in the summer, an ice cold Miller Lite after a day in the heat is maybe the best beer ever. Make sure you understand I am not saying they are the best beer but the first couple after a hot day just cures what ails you.:ban:

I'll be brewing up a lower ABV version of my MO SMaSH for late spring/summer drinking. Probably going to aim for about 4.5% this time (the lowest ABV% I've thought of doing). I'll also probably brew enough to get either 9 or 12 gallons out, so that I can fill 3 or 4 (3 gallon) kegs of it. :D

I really don't see how I am snobby for wanting quality...

It's the idea that:

Big business != quality

If you don't like light lagers, say so. It's not incorrect to say that they're not as flavorful as a pale ale.

It would also be ignorant to say:

Big business = light lagers

BMC makes a lot more than light lagers. I actually enjoy an Amber Bock from time to time. I don't know if they're still making it, but the Budweiser American Ale was a pretty solid amber. I don't know if you call "Sam Adams" mass-market, but they're still doing interesting craft beer things, and I've drank a fair amount of Boston Lager in airport bars and enjoyed it.

The post came off as elitist, not as a paean to quality.

I try not to limit myself to only drinking certain types of beer. I'm more of a food snob than beer snob, I'd say. I will not eat McDonalds, haven't been in one for at least 10 years. I also will not eat anything from Wendys anymore, the fries are awful, the burgers are dry and bland, the chicken is OK, but nothing special anymore. If AB or Miller did to their products what Wendys has done to theirs, then I would say, "I won't drink that crap ever again".

As far as beer goes, I like a lot of different ones, from the local brewers, to the big mega brewers (I'm new to brewing, and don't have anything of my own to drink just yet), but I often stop on my way home from work and grab a bottle of Natural Ice, Bud, Coors, sometimes a Grolsch if my local store has it, it just depends on what sounds good at the moment. Why limit my choices?

I'd actually agree, there. Sure there's usually a bargain menu but most of the regular stuff is about the same price as a sandwich with a lot of snobby ingredients.

To get on topic, homebrewing has certainly taught me more about tasting beer. I don't drink a lot so when I bought beer at the store I knew which specific beers I liked but I didn't drink enough to tell the difference between a blond and a hefe (since by the time I bought another pack of beer I forgot the details of the previous one, just a "like/dislike" score).

And now that I've educated my palate a little more, yeah, a lot of major brand beers aren't as satisfying as I used to find them. I never could stand BMC, those brands were the reason I took so long to like beer (Guiness was the first time I liked a beer and for a while I thought I just liked dark beers but Guiness only satisfies me half the time, same for Stella Artois which was the first pale beer I liked).

That's my point, I don't spend much money on beer to begin with, and most BMC I drank begrudgingly at best, before I started brewing and drinking craft beer. So when I do drink it and buy it, it should be worth it.

I'm not going to tell anyone what beer they should or shouldn't like, but I'm pretty sure that I read on the internets that every BMC beer you drink shortens your John Thomas by a millimeter. Hope you have enough to spare...

It's the idea that:

Big business != quality

If you don't like light lagers, say so. It's not incorrect to say that they're not as flavorful as a pale ale.

It would also be ignorant to say:

Big business = light lagers

BMC makes a lot more than light lagers. I actually enjoy an Amber Bock from time to time. I don't know if they're still making it, but the Budweiser American Ale was a pretty solid amber. I don't know if you call "Sam Adams" mass-market, but they're still doing interesting craft beer things, and I've drank a fair amount of Boston Lager in airport bars and enjoyed it.

The post came off as elitist, not as a paean to quality.

I don't think its elitism at all, to me there's something that the big brewing companies dont get about craft beer. Every one of their purchasing/re-labeling attempts at entering the market become obvious at first sip... Well, to me at least.
If you don't feel that way, that's fine, I am not saying I am better at all.
This has been on my mind for quite a while and I was wandering if anyone else felt the same way.

I'm not going to tell anyone what beer they should or shouldn't like, but I'm pretty sure that I read on the internets that every BMC beer you drink shortens your John Thomas by a millimeter. Hope you have enough to spare...

But an Arrogant Bastard increases it by 5 cm so I am good.

I hear that drinking great homebrew has the reverse effect. :D

If it does the combination of the two means I should probably get one of those things that you roll garden hoses up on.:tank:

I know a place that currently has double Bastard on tap...
I would hate to not be able to wear shorts in Florida anymore!

Here's hoping!:mug:

You must have had a lot of BMC when younger. So you have a huge amount to offset before you get into the 'normal' range. I never really had all that much from BMC even before I started brewing my own. :rockin:

Damn, need to make some dinner before it gets toooooo late... :D

Is Genesee a BMC? I'm making a resolution to only drink that or my own homebrew at home. Finally picked up the cream ale today.

Haven't had B, M, or C in their standard form (they own a bunch of small brands so it's hard to weed them out entirely) in a long time. I wouldn't really turn one down at a party or whatever though.

I don't think its elitism at all, to me there's something that the big brewing companies dont get about craft beer. Every one of their purchasing/re-labeling attempts at entering the market become obvious at first sip... Well, to me at least.
If you don't feel that way, that's fine, I am not saying I am better at all.
This has been on my mind for quite a while and I was wandering if anyone else felt the same way.

You've been on the board for 10 months and you were wondering if anyone else felt the same way? Even though one of these threads pops up every week?

The elitism is starting a thread to bash BMC for no apparent reason other than to express that you don't think BMC is a good value for the money.

I've never read one myself, although, I don't generally peruse this particular section daily. I don't understand why you find this thread or my opinion offensive.

BTW, there is a place in Portsmouth, NH that has really, really good Guinness. They clean the lines with each keg change (or at least they did the last time I went there) and have a rather high keg turnover. Several of the taps are dedicated to Guinness (or were). I need to get the name of the place so that I can swing in next time I go through that area. :D They also had a pretty good Ruben (more traditional, so done up right). :D

I wonder if this is the Portsmouth Brewery. I've never been but have friends that went to UNH that loved that place. I've been meaning to get there myself.

BMC is great. I always keep a sixer in the garage. Whenever we decide to have roast chicken, I get one out of the garage and shove it up the bird's hoo-haa and throw it on the grill.

I don't think your post was elitist. Simply stating why you don't like something and would rather spend your money elsewhere is just a statement of preference. I don't think you put down those who prefer the big brands.

Spend your money where you like and support the businesses that you like!

Some of the responders to your post, with differing opinions from yours, seem to be a bit too sensitive to a harmless post. It makes me wonder about the sources of these posts and their agendas.

Keep drinking, posting, and supporting the local businesses!

I will probably never stop buying High Life

That was the only beer my grandfather ever had, and the first beer I ever *snuck* as a kid. I can still remember the taste to this day. He has long since died, but every time I see a Miller high life sign, or drink an ice ice cold one on a hot summer Saturday afternoon, I think back on him.

And that is why I drink it, without thought as to the corporate giant that brewed it, or how the beer snobs /purists/disdainful home Brewers will think of me. I drink it because that's what Grampa drank, and if was good enough for him, it is damn sure good enough for me.

There. Nuff said. Stepping down from my loftily perched soap-box.

Might be a different route that this thread was going, but perhaps it would benefit from a derail. Admittedly, I skipped a few pages of trolling.

I would love to never have to buy BMC again. The control provided in homebrew meshes well with my personality, and I like to share with my friends and family. I drink for taste, so full control over my beer is important to me (now).

Unfortunately, I just don't have a garage or workshop, so I'm space limited. The wife has graciously given up her upright freezer (I had to buy her a new big stainless fridge) to make room for a keezer and a fermentation chamber in the laundry room. I've requisitioned some closet space in the office and guest bedroom, but I can't brew stinky strains in there, or my uniforms will smell like brew.

Unless I can nail my brew days, fermentation times, conditioning times, etc. I'll probably either have to supplement with BMC here and there.

Anybody else in the same boat?

I wonder if this is the Portsmouth Brewery. I've never been but have friends that went to UNH that loved that place. I've been meaning to get there myself.

BMC is great. I always keep a sixer in the garage. Whenever we decide to have roast chicken, I get one out of the garage and shove it up the bird's hoo-haa and throw it on the grill.

It's not... The place is where a bank used to be. They still have the vault door there.

Might be a different route that this thread was going, but perhaps it would benefit from a derail. Admittedly, I skipped a few pages of trolling.

I would love to never have to buy BMC again. The control provided in homebrew meshes well with my personality, and I like to share with my friends and family. I drink for taste, so full control over my beer is important to me (now).

Unfortunately, I just don't have a garage or workshop, so I'm space limited. The wife has graciously given up her upright freezer (I had to buy her a new big stainless fridge) to make room for a keezer and a fermentation chamber in the laundry room. I've requisitioned some closet space in the office and guest bedroom, but I can't brew stinky strains in there, or my uniforms will smell like brew.

Unless I can nail my brew days, fermentation times, conditioning times, etc. I'll probably either have to supplement with BMC here and there.

Anybody else in the same boat?

I am, but for no other reason than I like a good Budwiser every once in a while. And there isn't much better than a tall Blue Moon, but the keg has to be fresh because the beer looses a lot of its flavor profile in less than a month.

I am, but for no other reason than I like a good Budwiser every once in a while. And there isn't much better than a tall Blue Moon, but the keg has to be fresh because the beer looses a lot of its flavor profile in less than a month.

I do like Blue Moon, blue was recently disappointed by their Winter Abbey Ale. Felt flat and boring, no matter how much I let it warm up.

Latest posts

Back